Hoover Dam Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

dt34715

Reaction score
This heifer was born 09/29/2015 and bred to calve on 11/02/17 by Remedy 1T101. I really like the way she has turned out. What are your thoughts?

I really like her. One of my bulls is a grand son of Hoover dam and I love his calves. I am going to have to replace him soon because I have kept several of his daughters.

I have an yearling bull out of a top son of HD that is one of the top RFI sires and a daughter of War Party. Really like the cross. Look forward to seeing his heifers in a few years.

She looks the goods, I was pleased to see her. I have just ordered Hoover Dam to use on my heifers at the end of this month, gives me a bit of a preview.

Ken

Steve most of those I've seen have had good muscking, structurally sound and good performance. They are one of the lines that work for the commercial cowman and the feeder. They have many of the qualities that many Angus are lacking.

I have a CC&7 daughter....
she is a good cow and normally breeds well AI and raises a nice calf every year....all bulls so far... Castrated a Bonapart of Wye son from her a couple of years ago and as he grew everybody that saw him wanted to buy him until I told them he was a steer....
but she is huge....glad she has a good disposition...she was a show heifer for a local 4-H gal for about a year.

Like Elkwc said, the Hoover Dams just seem to do a lot of things right. The ones that I have always calved good and raised good calves. I have used Hoover Dam on my heifers as well as heifers that I have sold as breds. Last year we had a young bull that we fed out for a beef processed at about 16 months. His dam was a Hoover Dam daughter, sometimes when I see her, I think well she raised us a good beef.

Looks like a nice enough heifer to me - but I'd expect the Angus purists to be aghast at the amount of white she's carrying on her underline.

Lucky_P":1q4d242z said:
Looks like a nice enough heifer to me - but I'd expect the Angus purists to be aghast at the amount of white she's carrying on her underline.

can't judge the extent by the picture but what can be seen looks legal to me...

Ky hills":td99b8fw said:
Like Elkwc said, the Hoover Dams just seem to do a lot of things right. The ones that I have always calved good and raised good calves. I have used Hoover Dam on my heifers as well as heifers that I have sold as breds. Last year we had a young bull that we fed out for a beef processed at about 16 months. His dam was a Hoover Dam daughter, sometimes when I see her, I think well she raised us a good beef.

I compare HD and even War Party to About Time of the Herefords. Might not be the top show sire but their progeny are fairly uniform and consistent in type. The ones I've seen for sure won't set your herd back. The grandson of HD I have is a half brother to the top performing bull over all breeds at the recent Green Springs RFI bull test. Their sire is a true performance sire. Again not a show bull but a bull that sires the kind that will make the commercial cattle man money.

Steve it matters. Here without papers it would be less. With papers up to $1,750 is she is short bred.

She is in my commercial heard.
I only have a few registered, and trying to slowly build it up.

I know it is an old sale block comment but I really think it applies to Hoover Dam Heifer Calves.

Keep everyone of them as a replacement. We have quite a few of these cows now. I like the nice square udders, Moderate in their make up. I think the number on thing Hoover Dam ladies are going to be know for to me is simply how calm these ladies are. As others have said may not be the fanciest show females but you can use them as sound females to breed allot of different ways.

Phil A.

I will take that heifer if you do not want her in your herd.

I think he has been used on sone light made females to raise heifer bulls and he is knocked for some of the resulting progeny. I put the blame on the females he was mated with. When mated to good cows he sires nice functional cattle with muscle that will feed and grade well. We will start calving some heifers in a month bred to his son. A nice bull. Not a big bull but will be at least a frame 5. I know the half sisters to the bull I kept are nice. This calf has never been haltered but he is docile.

dt34715":2il4bv5l said:
This heifer was born 09/29/2015 and bred to calve on 11/02/17 by Remedy 1T101.
I really like the way she has turned out. What are your thoughts?

Nice looking heifer. But appears udder is developing fast for being 80 days from calving.
Hope you'll update with pictures after she calves.

Latest posts