hoove problems in calve

Help Support CattleToday:

BryanM

Reaction score
To start out with a little background. We have a small 4h herd of shorthorns. We had our first 2 calves this year started out great. But recently we have noticed in one bull calve that his hooves are cracked and not at the tips but up around thetop of the hooves. These are verticle cracks and on 3 hooves(outside toe on rear and inside front toe).

Action: we have taken was visit vet and hoof trimmer, which I believe the vet had no idea and did no testing for deficencies. The hoof trimmer cleaned and epoxied hoofs and tried to shape so weight was off cracked toes.

Now for the big question: what the heck caused this! And what action to take! We do have loose mineral but maybe Mom or calve isnt recieving enough mineral? Hereidtary? Although other calve is out of same bull with no issues. granted that it could be a recessive gene in cow and with this bull this happens. The trimmer thought this calve must have had a super high fever earlier in its life possibly effecting hooves. he said hoove wall was super thin and the cracks where splitting.

Now what do I do since this was a bull calve and he wont stay meaning plans are not to keep steers/bulls. I was informed that it might be a problem with the hooves when this 450lb calve started putting on weight thinking that hooves might be a real problem meaning not being sound. So i might loose big time and probably my best course of action was to cull him! But this doesnt affect the problem, so what would you do! was this just one of those things? I am not sure and dont have alot of experience in cattle? any insight!

Can you post a picture of his feet? I am a bit confused. You said that the cracks are at at the top of the hooves, yet said that the trimmer tried to shape so that the weight was taken off of the cracked toes.

You didn't mention where you live, or the ground & weather conditions. Environment can affect hoof quality too. Good luck with him. I hope that it is an easy fix.

Latest posts