Hoop vs monoslope

Help Support CattleToday:

NorthernIowa

Reaction score
Hi all,

Was looking for some input on building a hoop barn vs a monoslope building to house in the range of 250-400 head. I've gotten the sales pitch from both manufacturers and contractors, but naturally nobody builds BOTH hoops and mono's so the sales pitches are just competitive. I've done my fair share of research but am looking for people who have experience in both of these buildings and their preferences. From my angle, it seems much more cost efficient to build hoop over mono for <1,000 head. Also, you get 15-25 yr warranty on hoops compared to 0 yrs for steel. As far as frigid winters and hot summers, what keeps the climate inside most comfortable? The air quality also seems to be the biggest debate, what keeps bedding the driest and the steam off cattle the best?

I put up a 50x84 hoop building last year. No experience with a monoslope though. To me a monoslope seems like it would limit how big you can go and keep a decent amount of ceiling space for air exchange. My hoop has a nice high arch to it (about 22 feet at the center) and it seems like the air quality is relatively good. I sure like the natural light as well. Cattle seem to really enjoy it. They are warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. One thing that I wonder about and will find out with time is the longevity of these buildings.

I hear ya, I often wonder how those hoops stand up in high winds. Who built yours for you? And did you get any government grants to put one up?

I would think the hoop (just based on the shape) could take more wind than the monoslope building. I think there is just less for the wind to grab onto.

For air quality, either would work if ventilated. If you don't have any openings, the formula would require you to figure the volume of air above the livestock breathing zone, which would depend on the actual size of each particular building. The larger the area, the longer it would take to saturate that air. A monoslope with a wider footprint and a steeper slope might give you just as much or more volume than a hoop. If you add in some openings up high you can change the formula and the volume won't be as critical. You can leave the doors open a little as well to keep some fresh air coming in. There are a lot of ways to make either one work. Not sure which way would be best.

novaman":2wcdx0wo said:
I put up a 50x84 hoop building last year. No experience with a monoslope though. To me a monoslope seems like it would limit how big you can go and keep a decent amount of ceiling space for air exchange. My hoop has a nice high arch to it (about 22 feet at the center) and it seems like the air quality is relatively good. I sure like the natural light as well. Cattle seem to really enjoy it. They are warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. One thing that I wonder about and will find out with time is the longevity of these buildings.

Not to hijack the thread but what did you build your hoop barn on novaman? Concrete walls and floors for scrapping or sand , Ive seen alot of different set up on internet with some feeding alley way open to the outside? thanks

I've done quite a bit of research around my area and the general consensus is to concrete the entire floor. From the sounds of it, it's not worth the savings to skimp out on concrete floors. When the frost comes out come Spring it becomes a disaster if you just have dirt, sand, lime, etc. Walls also need to be concrete, but the height of them is negotiable. As long as you have a "curb" to scrape to/from, you can get by with 2x12's, guard rails, or similar to build your walls higher. I'd like to hear some total costs/head to build, if anyone is willing to share that much information?

NorthernIowa, not really sure if your stuck on a mono slope, but you might want to check on a freestall barn with a pitch roof, we have built alot of them for dairy farmers and now there starting to catch on with beef producers, you can have curtains on the sidewalls that open and close, same material that hoopbarns are made of, and metal roof, and endwalls, not really sure why you cant get a warranty on a metal building, If you have any questions you can pm me and ill be glad to help you.

Latest posts