Hoop shelter

Help Support CattleToday:

novaman

Reaction score
Anyone using a hoop shelter for housing livestock? I am looking into putting up a barn to house my dairy cows. I've heard good things about these hoop buildings but was curious if anyone could add some likes/dislikes on how they perform.

In high winds the fused seems will separate. Pretty easy to punch a (misplaced) hole in it. If you go with the fabiric ends the doors don;t work too well. Better to make them solid.

They're probably ok if you are in a wind-protected area where wind doesn't ever get more than about 20 mph. The poly or related covering is a material waiting for a puncture or tear and even the best of these materials have a short life (compared to a solid structure). I would guess their usable life is 5 yrs or less. Also, the larger units require several people to cover them and wind must be absolutely "calm" ( < 10 mph ). Their cost is not that low either. Factor in the cost of a "plastic covered" hoop house divided by useful life vs. a conventional built structue.

JMO

i like mine for cattle,light,air movement ,and it is windy here,just like anything you get what you pay for so buy a good one,20 year warrenty on the tarp,mine is tight enough nothing moves in the wind,it needs to be checked 4 times the first year and once a year thereafter,my ends are solid and with cattle i think thats what you would want also

cowwrangler":5vxwqds9 said:
i like mine for cattle,light,air movement ,and it is windy here,just like anything you get what you pay for so buy a good one,20 year warrenty on the tarp,mine is tight enough nothing moves in the wind,it needs to be checked 4 times the first year and once a year thereafter,my ends are solid and with cattle i think thats what you would want also
What type of building do you have? Never seen a 20 year warranty. Everything is 15 that I've found so far. Also what height did you use for a ponywall to keep the cattle from messing with the tarp?

http://www.siouxsteel.com/index.php/pro ... ngle-tube/ this is what mine is like,36x100 single tube,its on a 4 ft pony wall,then i screwed a couple 2x4s to the tubes on top of the wall and then screwed a sheet of tin length wise to that so its 7 ft tall,they never bother it,run a electic wire on the outside to keep them from licking on it,helps keep them off the fill also

There are quite a few in my area and they seem like a good deal. I have never seen any damaged by wind but that doesn't mean it can't happen. Punching holes or tearing them isn't a big problem either as the ripe will not get bigger as time goes. I wouldn't hesitate to put one up.

Mine was manufactured by siouxsteel also. Much easier to put up than some of the others looked. No cables or screws in the frame. Lags holding the feet to the pony wall and ratchets to ponywall was it. Just like an erector set.

Latest posts