HOOP BARN PROBLEMS

Help Support CattleToday:

hillside

Reaction score
HAVE 40X70 HOOP BARN USALLY RUN 140 BUCKET CALVES IN IT. I CAN ROLL BOTH SIDES UP AND HAVE TWO 12X12 OVER HEAD DOORS W/ 2 EXHAUST FANS ON EACH END. PROBLEMS: TOO MUCH HEAT IN SUMMER. ITS NICE IN WINTER TIME, WATER SELDOM FREEZES VERY MUCH BUT WE HAVE MOISURE TROUBLE IN WINTER. SOME ONE TOLD ME IF I CUT OUT ABOVE BOTH 12X12 DOORS AS WIDE AS DOORS AND UP ALLTHE WAY UP I COULD ELIMINATE THESE PROBLEMS.BEFORE I CUT MEDAL SIDING WOULD LIKE SOME SUGGESTION FROM OTHERS HILLSIDE

Before I did that(hurts structural integrity) I would look into installing somekind of vents in the top. Think along the lines of ridgeline vents . That would help even more than opening the ends for both your moisture and heat problems.

Thank you, Chuck, now I know what hillside is talking about. I've seen them, just didn't know what they were called.

Chuck, thanks for posting the link. I knew exactly what a hoop barn was, but couldn't find a way to describe it for msscamp and bif.

Katherine

While I have to admit I had never heard the term, I have seen several folks that use the quanset hut design. Now what was the question? :shock:

warpaint":316fq01n said:
While I have to admit I had never heard the term, I have seen several folks that use the quanset hut design. Now what was the question? :shock:

he says it gets too hot in the barn in the summertime...

Not able to put a ridge vent because it is material and you can't cut the material. If I had to do all over again there would be a vent up there. As for structural support, the ends do not support building. I am probably going to cut these ends out if no other suggestions. Hillside

Hillside,

Look at this thread. E-mail this Matt guy. I'm sure he'll have an idea or 2 for ya.