Hoof trimming

Help Support CattleToday:

I have just had a really bad experience with a hoof trimmer. I had my her bull trimmed and since he hada mminimum charge I got a few cows up to do some hoof care on them. One of my cows was injured in his chute. I had to have her put down and slaughtered. I will never trim feet again. They will go to sale barn with a limp or long toe nails. Just my 2 cents.

diamondsfarmsc":10gyvuee said:
I have just had a really bad experience with a hoof trimmer. I had my her bull trimmed and since he hada mminimum charge I got a few cows up to do some hoof care on them. One of my cows was injured in his chute. I had to have her put down and slaughtered. I will never trim feet again. They will go to sale barn with a limp or long toe nails. Just my 2 cents.
diamond I am very sorry for your loss. It does not usually happen that way......As has been said, "any time you work cattle there is a risk of injury." I hold my breath every time I catch ones head in the squeeze, or when they struggle receiving injections.
Almost every dairy cow gets her feet trimmed once or twice per year without incident. The key is having the right person, with the right equipment, and making sure that your cattle a accustomed to being handled. Wilder cattle are going to be at high risk.
Again, sorry for your loss. :(

I just had a good look at the mob with the cow with the lame damaged foot that I trimmed last month. It worked, she is not lame now that I can notice and is standing squarely on the damaged claw. Hopefully I have salvaged myself a cow.

I noticed at the same time there are scars, and fair sized ones, on some of the other cattle now I look for it. I am sure now that they are burn scars. No wonder at all, just how they got away with it as lightly as they did.

cowsfirefeed.JPG

sheepblack.JPG

WOW That looks like a scary fire Ozhorse!! What an ordeal that must have been, I can't even imagine! I am glad that your cow is doing much better.

Latest posts