HOOF TRIMMING

Help Support CattleToday:

dawnrogerl

Reaction score
Hi Friends, This is an update on the cow with the corns, that dun posted a few days ago for me. We took her to NC State Vet School today and they felt that the corns were not bad enough to cause the lameness. The vet thought that the condition of her hoofs were probably the problem and trimed them. He sent her home for me to observe her for a couple of weeks to see if she improves. He said he did not want to cut her if it was not necessary. This brings up the subject of when do they need their hoofs trimed. I did not think they were bad but the vet did. We do not have anyone around here that will trim them and I would need to take the bad ones to NC State. You can see one of this cows hoofs on dun's post "What is it" a few days ago. Looking forward to your comments.

TennesseeTuxedo":3cqhonp6 said:
I didn't realize they needed their hoofs trimmed.

They shouldn't unless it is an environmental issue. Dairy cows need their hooves trimmed usually twice a year, once when around 2 months fresh and then before they are dried off . I sure don't like to have to trim beef hooves though and cull for bad feet if at all possible. Sure wish EDP would add feet and legs to pedigrees like classifying does with dairy . At the very least do it for AI beef sires so you can improve genetics.

hillsdown":26ui7x1h said:
TennesseeTuxedo":26ui7x1h said:
I didn't realize they needed their hoofs trimmed.

They shouldn't unless it is an environmental issue. Dairy cows need their hooves trimmed usually twice a year, once when around 2 months fresh and then before they are dried off . I sure don't like to have to trim beef hooves though and cull for bad feet if at all possible. Sure wish EDP would add feet and legs to pedigrees like classifying does with dairy . At the very least do it for AI beef sires so you can improve genetics.

Yep this is very needed.

The need to trim feet also has to do with the amount that they walk, and on what ground.