Hoof Trimming?

Help Support CattleToday:

We have only shown one heifer calf one time, so I know little about showing.

However, a friend at the show told me my heifer's hoofs needed a little trimming. She experienced in showing, so I took her at her word.

My friend got out a mallet and wood chisel and proceeded to trim my heifer's hoofs as the heifer was standing in the grooming chute. My friend said this was the best way to trim a cow's hoofs she had ever found. It was quick, easy, and my friend was right - the heifer looked much better after trimming.

> My fair is in 2 weeks, Is it 2
> late 2 get my steers hooves
> trimmed? THANKS

> My fair is in 2 weeks, Is it 2
> late 2 get my steers hooves
> trimmed? THANKS

Its never too late to trim hooves. When I show my anilmals, I try to trim hooves and all hair around face and belly at least a week before show. It gives them time to get used to the feel of shortened hooves. I'm not sure about the shows you compete in, but the ones I show in require us to shave the face and trim hooves. Trimming hooves helps to straighten out the back and trim the belly. It causes them to sit farther back on their hooves. If you trim at least one week before show, you can re-trim any messy places in the grooming shoot at show.

[email protected]

Just be sure to get someone that knows what they are doing. A trimmer can also make the animal lame. Jeanne <A HREF="http://www.SimmeValley.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.SimmeValley.com</A>
> We have only shown one heifer calf
> one time, so I know little about
> showing.

> However, a friend at the show told
> me my heifer's hoofs needed a
> little trimming. She experienced
> in showing, so I took her at her
> word.

> My friend got out a mallet and
> wood chisel and proceeded to trim
> my heifer's hoofs as the heifer
> was standing in the grooming