Hoof trimming

Help Support CattleToday:

Susie David

Reaction score
How often does everyone trim hooves...we had a old cow that broke a rear hoof...not bad but noticable so we gave her a manicure. I always just tipped them in the fall when they were in the chute anyway and only the older ones with the longer growth. DMc

i have never ever trimmed a hoof before. however i noticed a charolais cow limping and she has one long claw. was planning on selling her anyway. how do you go about trimming them? (shes only 5)

i dont think she'll work hers off. its pretty long. i'll just cull her.

Susie David":2qts1mka said:
How often does everyone trim hooves...we had a old cow that broke a rear hoof...not bad but noticable so we gave her a manicure. I always just tipped them in the fall when they were in the chute anyway and only the older ones with the longer growth. DMc

Never.

I have enough rocks so not a problem. My buddy in west TX has sandy soil and he trims every three or so. Some he never trims. Kind of cow specefic.

Scotty

We use a trimmer that looks like a tree pruner with the head at a ~45 degree angle...made to trim when they are standing up in the chute. We just nip the real long ones and the ones that have hooked. Have heard about outfits that have mobile facilities much like a big hydraulic calf table and use sanders to trim...mostly dairy cows...I think..Dave Mc.

Susie David,
You can send them cows down here to Az. got a little pasture out by superior that will take care of that hoof trimming for you. They will just have to learn toeat cholla fruit like these old desert cows do. :cboy:

Here in Georgia we have Martin's Cattle Services (http://www.martinscattleservices.com/ ) who come to the farm with tilt table and do a very fine job of trimming.

If I have a slight claw on a cow, I put them in the chute, use my immobilizer and trim. I wouldn't try it without an immobilizer unless you are very brave and well protected.

Billy

Weed...'am familiar with the country...Grandfather was born in Lincoln...near you, only under Roosevelt Lake now. Chased cows up sixshooter canyon and in the Pinals a while ago (60's)
DMc

Susie David":25vmxfju said:
We use a trimmer that looks like a tree pruner with the head at a ~45 degree angle...made to trim when they are standing up in the chute. We just nip the real long ones and the ones that have hooked. Have heard about outfits that have mobile facilities much like a big hydraulic calf table and use sanders to trim...mostly dairy cows...I think..Dave Mc.

Do you have much luck with this trimmer? I am thinking about buying one?