Hoof trimming (cattle)

Help Support CattleToday:

Rancher

Reaction score
Trying to figure out how to trim the claws on my fave old(8) angus girl. I'm not 80 yet but not a crippled yet either. Last time I did this on my cows in need was 5yrs ago & was a rodeo for sure. Has anyone ever used the "Immobilizer" electric device sold at various livestock outlets? Wondering how it would work on trimming. I do use the squeeze shoot but still, hard ta hang in there at my age :D

I use a heavy soft rope with a loop at one end, put the other end through the loop and snare around the fetlock and tie it up to raise it off the ground (don't need much height on the back feet - less height means less fight). I put my knee under theirs to support theirs when doing front legs. I put a thick wall small diameter pipe in front of the back legs through the sides of the chute to help prop up the back end with a back foot off the ground. I use one hand to hold the foot and the other for trimming, scraping and rasping. I do more for others than my own, but sometimes the odd cow needs a single toe nipped. It's hard work, but I am crazy enough to do it.

I would advise you to find a trimmer in your area and hire him to do it. Much simpler, safer and less sweating.

Aaron":2qx7j6hq said:
I would advise you to find a trimmer in your area and hire him to do it. Much simpler, safer and less sweating.
That's what I would do!

Latest posts