hoof trimmers

Help Support CattleToday:

jt

Reaction score
what do some of you use to trim your cows feet? and how well do you like em?

thanks

jt

we use a small hand held grinder with about medium grit stick-on sanding discs (get em from the hardware store). We like em pretty good, just have to be careful, and it takes time to get good at trimming.

Ryan

thanks ryan and bullrider...

never considered using a grinder, but that might the thing... does the cow get crazy when the grinder starts working on her foot? just thinking about it, i would have thought she would really start acting up once the grinding started??

thanks

jt

Are you showing? Stabling? If not most times you can just leave 'em.

Never trim them on this place - rough ground keeps 'em just right.

Bez

jt":38a6cyki said:
thanks ryan and bullrider...

never considered using a grinder, but that might the thing... does the cow get crazy when the grinder starts working on her foot? just thinking about it, i would have thought she would really start acting up once the grinding started??

thanks

jt

It usually depends on the animal. The calm natured animals usually handle it a lot better. But we do make sure the animals are very secure on the table before we do anything. I think being on the tilt table and not being able to move makes them more nervous than the noise of the grinder.

Ryan

bez, no i do not show, and dont have to trim often, but hate it when i do. i cull those cows that require trimming, but sometimes before culling them i have to trim so they can walk better. once they raise the calf they have at the time, they usually hit the road.

ryan, i dont have a tilt table.. it is in the squeeze chute. i cant imagine tilting a 1300# cow and trimming her hooves... bet that would be a site, but of course i have never seen a tilt table and dont know anything about em.

someone long time ago told me to use tree pruners, but i dont have any and was hoping someone would address that issue.

thanks

jt

jt":31ahfej5 said:
ryan, i dont have a tilt table.. it is in the squeeze chute. i cant imagine tilting a 1300# cow and trimming her hooves... bet that would be a site, but of course i have never seen a tilt table and dont know anything about em.

jt,

Our tilt table is made for bigger animals. The frame is made out of pipe, and it is bolted to a cement slab. It uses a hydrolic motor to tilt the table up and down. Our mature animals (2-4 year olds) usually handle the table pretty well since they are show animals and are used to us messing with them.

Our 3 and 4 year old show cows avg. 1200 - 1400lbs and our 2 year old bulls weighed about 1700lbs this year. So the table can handle them pretty well. As a matter of fact, this bigger type table handles the bigger animals better than it does yearlings. The table was made for big club calves, the builder had one on a trailer he used for yearlings (less than 1000lbs).

Ryan