Hoof Tape vs Scale

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Some people expressed an interest in the differences in weight between an actual Scale and one of those Hoof tapes.

This preemie weighed 46# on the scale, the tape called him 55#. So that is a 9# difference.

I will try to post some others once we get into calving season and have some full term calves.

it should be closer than that. i'd check the position of the tape & also the "snugness" when you tighten it. weigh it with the scale first, so you know what it "really" weighs, & then use the tape to get the same number until you get a feel of where to place the tape & how tight to pull it.

(**we've never weighed one that small, so there could be a greater room for error at lower weights ;-) :lol: )

txag":2zvy45u5 said:
it should be closer than that. i'd check the position of the tape & also the "snugness" when you tighten it. weigh it with the scale first, so you know what it "really" weighs, & then use the tape to get the same number until you get a feel of where to place the tape & how tight to pull it.

(**we've never weighed one that small, so there could be a greater room for error at lower weights ;-) :lol: )

I had that tape as tight as it would go around his coronet band. Snug put him at 59#. I have very little faith in that tape. The only ones it weighs with any accuracy seem to be the middle of the road calves 75-95#. But, I'm gonna test it out this year, weigh them on the scale and with the tape.

randiliana":3ey27y63 said:
The only ones it weighs with any accuracy seem to be the middle of the road calves 75-95#.

maybe that's why it works for us.....that's the range of our calves.

IL Rancher":e9k9iquu said:
I have zero faith in the tape.. Zero... Have seen it off by 10 pounds one too many times.

The worst I saw it off by was 20 lbs. Called a 60 lb calf 80lbs. Didn't look right to me so I put the calf on the scale and sure enough it was waaay off.

Thank you for taking the time to weigh the calves as well as measure with the tape, Please keep us posted as the calving progresses.

KNERSIE":3ccu3ja4 said:
Thank you for taking the time to weigh the calves as well as measure with the tape, Please keep us posted as the calving progresses.

You are welcome. It is something I have been meaning to do for the past couple years. and this gives me a reason to do it ;-)

One thing to consider is that there is a 5 to 7 # diif on bull calves with the tape. I have one and it says there is a +/- between steers and heifers.

They are convenient, but I still use a cotton scale to weigh to be sure. Even thouse get inaccurate. 2 to 5 lbs doesn't make a big difference in my mind.

vs_cattle,

I think all of us agree the scale is better, but also alot more inconvenient as you have to carry it around and needs another pair of hands. The hoof tape can be used as soon as possible after birth making it a one man operation.