Hoof rot?

Help Support CattleToday:

kickinbull

Reaction score
With the extra dry weather cows are standing in shade and cool spots causing 4 cases of hoof rot so far. I have been using coppertox with some positive results, but its slow. And the first case, her feet are still sore, but not limping.These are dairy cattle. I tried on one to soak it in warm water then treatment, but it appears to made it much worse than the others. What do you use that can work for dairy cows? Thanks

you can make a foot bath of copper sulfate & hydrated lime or just copper sulfate in water to walk them through before or after milking

kickinbull":6yb7r1cl said:
With the extra dry weather cows are standing in shade and cool spots causing 4 cases of hoof rot so far. I have been using coppertox with some positive results, but its slow. And the first case, her feet are still sore, but not limping.These are dairy cattle. I tried on one to soak it in warm water then treatment, but it appears to made it much worse than the others. What do you use that can work for dairy cows? Thanks
You said "dairy cattle" so I'm assuming this is a working dairy. If so and you're buying feed from a feed company call them and ask them to put Zinpro in your feed ration at 3-4 lbs. per ton. If you're mixing your own feed, buy a bag and add it at the same rate to the TMR. This won't cure anything now as you'll just have to treat the probelm but it should reduce the incidence of it in the future. The foot bath witht the copper sulfate can't hurt anything.

Latest posts