Hoof Rot time frame

Help Support CattleToday:

mncowboy

Reaction score
I treated a March calf for hoof rot with LA 200 and long acting penicillin (PenB 48 or something). How long until we start seeing some improvement?

24-48 hours should be almost completely back to normal. Should see some positive affect in 12 hours

It is not recommended to mix tetracycline based antibiotics with antibiotics of the penicillin family. Tetracyclines work by preventing bacteria from multiplying. Penicillins on the other hand kill bacteria when they are multiplying. So in essence, these two drugs work against each other when administered together.

Agree with both of above. Had a recent foot rot that initially responded to oxytet treatment but relapsed in about 10 days. In interim started hearing about oxytet resistance so retreated with draxxin and it cleared up. If you haven't seen noticeable improvement in a couple of days, suggest retreating with either draxxin or nuflor.

My vet told me LA200 is only effective for about 48 hours. So I treat and then usually re-treat 48 hours later. Very rarely do they need a 3rd treatment. If caught early enough one shot is enough. Also I only inject around 20cc per site.

This protocol has worked for us. I don't see any need for the pen either. LA200 or 300 should be all you need.

Koffi Babone":1pigbs7n said:
It is not recommended to mix tetracycline based antibiotics with antibiotics of the penicillin family. Tetracyclines work by preventing bacteria from multiplying. Penicillins on the other hand kill bacteria when they are multiplying. So in essence, these two drugs work against each other when administered together.

I knew that to be the case but I never knew why, thanks for clearing that up

@ Shanghai:

No pbm...

These are questions you can ask your vet. There usually is a logical scientific explanation to all the "cocktails" (treatments and procedures) that are used.

I absolutely "ask" before mixing drugs. I am very fortunate to have several pharmacists that I work with, they are a very good resource for me. (Sometimes you can't get the vet on the phone.)
Sometimes the vets, (and others) on this Forum are much quicker to respond to any questions. Thank you for being here for us! :D

KB is correct about tetracycline and penicillin working at cross-purposes with one another. This is true for many - but not all - combos of bacteriCIDAL and bacterioSTATIC antimicrobials . In most instances, bactericidal drugs require the organisms to be actively growing for them to exert their effects - but if you're concurrently administering a bacteriostatic drug, that stops or slows their growth...the 'cidal drug is ineffective.

I always had good luck treating footrot with a combination of LA-200 and appropriate dose of long-acting sulfa-drug boluses; one treatment was all that was usually needed.

If anyone has 'cured' anything with the 'long-acting' penicillin product, that animal probably would have survived and recovered even without it. The procaine penicillin G fraction is gone in 12 hours - and is underdosed, at that, if you give the recommended label dose; the benzathine penicillin G fraction does stay in the bloodstream for up to 48 hours, but it cannot ever achieve high enough blood/tissue levels to be effective. It would likely never get approval if they had to go through the licensing process today...

Koffi Babone":1tfchn1z said:

Well that's just awesome.......
Thanks for the info