Hoof Problems

Help Support CattleToday:

Stockton

Reaction score
I just bought a bull and an older cow. Both of them have a rear hoof that has grown up and inward pointing back towards the leg. Does this need to be trimmed? What has caused this? And is there anything I need to feed to keep if from happening again?

The things that come readily to mind is poor conformation or improper (too hot) of a feed ration causing founder. Depending on how bad it may take a while to correct, taking just a little each trimming. If it's founder, good luck, never have seen one get right after that. But I haven;t seen many cows that have foundered either. Soft footing condtions and neglect could cause it also.
But if they're that bad, the neglect part pretty much goes without saying

dun

I got a cow that was in a small sand pasture and her hooves were overgrown to the point they were curling up too, took her to the vet and got them cut back to normal and I've had her 2 years now with no overgrowth. The vet said that the sand was sont and didn't wear the hoof down enough like walking over harder ground/rocks would.

They both sound like kill cattle to me with all the good cattle in the world why buy junk???????but hey it's your money

Hi Stockton,

They should be trimmed. If you have a squeeze chute, put em in, and have your vet there. He/she, can properly trim the hoof. The one's I've seen have this as a re-occuring problem. (every 6 months or so)

One word on the bull, however. If it's one of his back feet that are giving you problems handle this immediately. If the bull is in discomfort during breeding season, he may not attempt to breed, because it may actually hurt him to mount a cow. This has the potential to be disasterous since it could affect your whole calf crop. I'd watch him closely, very closely.

We have soft pasture and pens here too and trim when the hoof starts to hook....just nip them back a bit...need to check the older cows more often as some have chipped a hoof and had to do a more in depth pedicure....

Latest posts