Hoof Growth

Help Support CattleToday:

Gunner

Reaction score
I puchased 10 bred 1/2 Santa Gertrudis/1/2 Red Angus cows back in January. About a month later one of the cows started to limp. Her "toes" grew very long, very fast. Took her to the vet and they checked her out and could find nothing wrong other than the long "toes". Could not tell me why they were growing so fast. They have trimmed her twice since then and it helps for awhile but as they grow, she gets to where she can't hardly get around. Now I have a second cow out of the 10 that is doing the same thing...not as fast or as bad but definitely having problems. My question is this a inheritable (genetic) problem that shows up in some genetic lines, a feed problem from (too much protein maybe?) or more likely an enviromental problem from not having enough rocks to keep the hoofs worn down? Soil is mostly sandy. Does anyone have any ideas? I have already culled half my cow herd because of the drought and am probably going to sell some more and these two cows are on the top of the list because of the foot problems but if there is a solution to the problem they would be on the bottom of the list. Thank you in advance for your comments.

"Long toes" is one of the recurring affects of a previous severe case of acidosis. (Feeding high amounts of starches) and not feeding enough roughage (grazing and hay). Trimming the toes is a temporary fix but they will always grow back. Just something you and the cow will have to live with.

conformation?? too sickle hocked.. cause them to walk on the heel and not keep the growth worn down... idealy they will grow and wear at the same time

I think both those answers are correct and it "could be" genetic as well. Hoof problems all belong at the SY-- Load them

JS

we've had a couple lines in our herd that always grew long hooves, though it doesn't sound as bad as your case where they can't walk well... we found in our herd it was genetic, and we've got most of them weeded out, and now we only need to trim hooves once every couple years on any given cow.. we found the cattle with non pigmented hooves more susceptible to it

There are 4 basic reasons for long toes. 1) Genetics, 2) Feed, 3) Injury, 4) Footing conditions