Hoof Dragging

Help Support CattleToday:

kknovak

Reaction score
Approx. 8 yr old heifer...mainly grass fed has started to "trip" when walking. Seems to have difficulty starting to walk due to "tripping" on back hooves but once moving is able to walk with only occasional "tripping". Appears to be dragging the hooves until her leg is high enough to lift the hoof off the ground. Neither leg is broken or has been. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Not preg. but did have one several months back it was and still is Ok. Weaned at this time. Has prob been off her about a month.

kknovak":1yolqi1u said:
Not preg. but did have one several months back it was and still is Ok. Weaned at this time. Has prob been off her about a month.
Heavy bred cows will sometimes drag their feet. OK, since she isn;t bred has she had a visit from a bull lately?
Could be just arthritis or could be something serious. Hard to tell without actually seeing her and listening to her walk.

Could it be a stringhalt type thing? I've noticed it a fair bit in cows - once they get warmed up and get going they're okay.
Mostly its in one leg though, not two.

Its not her 1st calf has put out 4 so far. Decent heifer. Just cant figure out the hoof dragging issue. Other than that she appears fine. I do not see anything caught in the hoof but can not get a good look under the hoof. Was wanting to sell her with the calf at her side BUT with this hoof issue I do not want to take her to the sale barn without it solved. No bulls on her or around her to cause the problem.. Mainly back right leg but does effect both from time to time.

Definitely sounds like a stringhalt type thing. No big deal, we just ignore it. All to do with ligaments I think.

To me it does not sound like stringhalt. Stringhalt is a hyperflexion of the limb which looks like the animal may be trying to kick out.
Does she do this constantly every day? Or is it just intermittent? It could be a lesion in the lower part of the limb or hoof that is causing her to trip?

Could also just be a simple strain... stepped on a rock, walked in a gopher hole, tripped up somehow, ran downhill/uphill wrong... who knows...

benign neglect for a few days, watch for swelling and/or differences... and if not improved, investigate further

Latest posts