Hoof crud

Help Support CattleToday:

rosie

Reaction score
We've got a calf that has some sort of crud on his hoof -- right rear. We've been treating it with a topical antibacterial ointment but it isn't getting any better. We stopped treatment for a couple days and he got worse, swollen and clearly favoring the foot. He's still eating. Seems to feel okay. Anybody have any ideas what this stuff might be? Fungus? Abscess? He's had it for weeks now.

We used only a topical--Furozone? (the yellow stuff). This crud looks like a big scab. But not oozing or anything. Dry, rough. I'm sorry can't post a picture. I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

rosie":1pupvo2f said:
We used only a topical--Furozone? (the yellow stuff). This crud looks like a big scab. But not oozing or anything. Dry, rough. I'm sorry can't post a picture. I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

Isi t between the toes or on the heel between the bulbs or just over the bulbs?

It's on top..between the hooves.. right at the top where the hooves meet the fur. Started really small but now it's bigger.

Simple footrot, hairy heel wart (interdigital papillomatosis), could be a bunch of things. Being a calf I lean towards footrot. Since the topical stuff hasn;t helped in the long run, an antibiotic would be in order. Hope that it hasn;t been so protracted with the infection that it got into the joint capsule. OTC struff may work but at this point it would be better to get a real antibiotic from the vet. Excenel, or one of that family would be my choice.

Rosie, I see that you have only posted a few times and I don't mean to come off as a jerk (even though I am) but you really need to see a vet. I admire and respect the opinions of folks here and there are probably none more knowledgable than DUN but I think even he would recommend you get that animal to a vet ASAP. By the time you've tried all the different recommendations here the infection (if that's what it is) will have spread to the point where you may lose the animal.

Good luck.

Thanks Dun for your response. We treated this steer and the stuff cleared up just fine. Completely gone now. Sure appreciate your help. We didn't think it was serious but it sure did hang on for a while!

:clap: Thanks for the update rosie. So many people come on here for help and we never hear the ending.

Walt

rosie":1l7t5zja said:
Thanks Dun for your response. We treated this steer and the stuff cleared up just fine. Completely gone now. Sure appreciate your help. We didn't think it was serious but it sure did hang on for a while!

Dun is always helpful here rosie. If he doesn't have the answer, then there's only one other person in the world that would probably have it. (You catch that dun?)

What did you treat the calf with?

Latest posts