Hoof Crack

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady

Reaction score
My bull has a fairly deep, 2 inch long cut in the outside of his rear hoof, that runs horizontally, just below the bulb of his foot. It doesn't seem to be painful, but I'm wondering what to put on it? Hoof flex to keep it soft?

TheBullLady":2izyhrs3 said:
My bull has a fairly deep, 2 inch long cut in the outside of his rear hoof, that runs horizontally, just below the bulb of his foot. It doesn't seem to be painful, but I'm wondering what to put on it? Hoof flex to keep it soft?
At least some sort of topical spray to keep infection and flies out.

I wouldn't want to keep it soft. Keep him out of swampy areas. and if he does start to limp put him in a small paddock with hat so he doesn't have to travel as far. Is it the front or the back?

Is it getting any longer like cracking or tearing? If it is, you can drill a hole at the leading edge or just a little past it. Not very deep, but that will frequently stop cracks.

dun

dun":2xb0k8h3 said:
Is it getting any longer like cracking or tearing? If it is, you can drill a hole at the leading edge or just a little past it. Not very deep, but that will frequently stop cracks.

dun

Thats great I've done this with sheet metal but would have never thought to use it on a hoof.

Tod Dague":pqp0w723 said:
dun":pqp0w723 said:

dun

Thats great I've done this with sheet metal but would have never thought to use it on a hoof.

Exactly the same principle.. I've done it with cracked aluminum intake manifolds too, even glass and plexiglass.

dun

Latest posts