Hoof color question

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef

Reaction score
On all of my "purer" Hereford cows in my non registered herd their hooves seem to be a white/lighter color. These purer animals have the little white stripe on their back etc.

On the few BWF I have and on some other purchased but again non registered animals who look like they are mostly RWF Hereford but no stripe & might have some Simmental or other blood in their lineage, their hooves are all black.

Beginner question: Is hoof color an indicator of a more or less pure Hereford animal?

Thanks for any information. Jim

Black hooves aren't typical hereford hooves, its usually either white or reddish or a combination of the two. In yesteryear it was believed that darker hooves are harder and better suited for extreme rocky conditions, but recent research has proven that hoof colour made no difference in hoof hardness.

I find with the Simmentals - it depends on the color of hair on the legs at the hoof. If they have white legs, white hooves. Red legs, red hooves. Black - black.
And if part of the leg is white & part is red - the hoof will be split colored where the hair color changes. Same with black/white legs.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1jp1692o said:
I find with the Simmentals - it depends on the color of hair on the legs at the hoof. If they have white legs, white hooves. Red legs, red hooves. Black - black.
And if part of the leg is white & part is red - the hoof will be split colored where the hair color changes. Same with black/white legs.
Makes sense, hooves are made from hair like horns yeah? *blonde moment*

Latest posts