Hoof and Mouth Disease

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I just learned that animals infected with the hoof and mouth virus always recover from the disease. Also the disease does not spread to humans. If the above is true, then why are infected animals killed?<br>Please advise.
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

Ok, I'll give my opinion in a minute, but here's a quote from a vet text book. "Losses due to the disease occur in many ways although loss of production, the expense of eradication and the interference with movement of livestock and meat between countries are the most important effects. Although the disease is not a killing one <br>(the mortality rate in adults is only 2% and in young stock 20%)animals are so severely affected during the acute stages of the disease and the period of convalescence is so prolonged that production, both of meat and milk, is seriously impaired. When the disease breaks out in susceptible cattle it spreads very rapidly and the morbidity approximates 100%. Although the mortality is usually low severe outbreaks of a more violent form sometimes occur with a mortality of up to 50%" Essentially that states that it spreads like wildfire, totally screws up production and can kill a lot of animals. Hmmmm....why eradicate it? Billions of dollars in exports lost.....sick and dying animals.....worth billions.....it would totally change the economy as you know it today. Now not everyone exports semen, embryos, live cattle or meat, but it would be instantly shut down. No more cattle sales to Canada or Mexico on the hook....and the consumer will likely see "mad cow disease" if there is a prominent cattle disease outbreak--likely losing a lot of consumers! I personally think it's a darn good thing we keep Canada (and the US etc)foot and mouth free! JMHO!<br>V
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

Latest posts