Hoof and Mouth disease in Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Answers such as yours are what present a picture of "stupid." Get a life!<p>Lynda<p>: You're pretty stupid for a second year tech. The newspapers even tell about vaccines. Give it up; get a job at MacDonalds.<p>
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

If you're so damned smart, learn how to spell McDonald's correctly!<br>
<br>

(User Above)":3dwbtmiy said:
: Can anyone tell me when hoof and mouth disease became foot and mouth disease, since all the animals that get it have cloven hoofs.<p>Am here wondering the same thing, grew up on a farm and always thought that foot & mouth pertained to pigs only. Maybe one of our brighter newscasters misheard hoof & mouth to be foot & mouth.
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":monochxj said:
: : Can anyone tell me when hoof and mouth disease became foot and mouth disease, since all the animals that get it have cloven hoofs.<p>: Am here wondering the same thing, grew up on a farm and always thought that foot & mouth pertained to pigs only. Maybe one of our brighter newscasters misheard hoof & mouth to be foot & mouth.<br>The only animal that can contact "hoof and mouth" disease is a animal that has cloven hoofs. These animals do not have "foots" they have hoofs. I think the Brits call the disease "foot and mouth"<br>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":2cj4fi6q said:
: Answers such as yours are what present a picture of "stupid." Get a life!<p>: Lynda<p>: : You're pretty stupid for a second year tech. The newspapers even tell about vaccines. Give it up; get a job at MacDonalds.<br>Hey LynDAAAA. Vaccines are iffy at best because they contain live bacteria that can infect a healthy cloven hoofed animal.<p>
<br>

(User Above)":3hw9cicx said:
: I send this in regard to your question about slaughter being the only treatment.<br>: Deborah<p>: Published on Sunday, March 4, 2001 in the Independent / UK<br>: Foot & Mouth Crisis<br>: To Be Killed for Having Flu Is As Sick As It<br>: Gets<br>: by Joan Smith<br>: <br>: Isn't it time somebody stood up for animals? Up and down the country, cows, pigs and<br>: sheep with the equivalent of a heavy cold, and others without symptoms that have been in<br>: contact with the affected animals, are being slaughtered and burned on ghastly funeral<br>: pyres. We have all seen pictures of the sky glowing a baleful red, while yet more animal<br>: carcasses are silhouetted starkly over the pits of death. Yet the whole business makes as<br>: much sense, in everything but economic terms, as putting down an entire primary school<br>: class because a few of the children happen to have sore throats. <p>: Foot and mouth is not a fatal disease. When government ministers, farmers and vets prefer<br>: to shoot thousands of animals rather than wait a few weeks for them to recover from an<br>: illness that does not pose a threat to human health, it is clear that something has gone<br>: hideously wrong with our relationship to the non-human world. In this case the cause is<br>: money, the fact that most modern farms are run, despite subsidies, on a tight budget that<br>: does not allow for looking after sick animals or a delay in the date when they can be sent<br>: for slaughter. <p>: Farmers would say, I suppose, that most of these creatures are destined for the abattoir<br>: anyway, so the cull merely brings forward what is inevitable. But the same cannot be said of<br>: feral animals, the deer, badgers and wild boar that may be hunted and shot as a<br>: consequence of the outbreak. What angers many people I have talked to in the past week<br>: is the way in which the photographs of burning carcasses symbolise the fact that farming is<br>: an industry, and a ruthless one that cares very little for animal welfare. <p>: And yes, I accept that most of us prefer not to know what goes on in slaughterhouses. One<br>: of the effects of the crisis has been to make me think about returning to a vegetarian diet,<br>: not out of concern for my own health but because of the horrors that modern farming<br>: imposes on animals, and I doubt whether I am alone in this. It also signals the need for an<br>: urgent reconsideration of our responsibilities towards the non-human world. In recent<br>: months, largely as a result of the debate over hunting with hounds, we have been subjected<br>: to a barrage of hostile propaganda about animals, from foxes to domestic cats. We are told<br>: about the damage foxes do to pheasants and chickens, and the number of rodents and<br>: birds killed by our moggies when they go hunting at night. <p>: There is no moral equivalence here, as the American philosopher Lori Gruen has pointed<br>: out: "It would be nonsensical to hold a lion morally responsible for the death of a gnu." (As I<br>: once explained to Clarissa Dickson Wright, a keen supporter of hunting, I expect human<br>: beings to have a more sophisticated grasp of moral responsibility than a fox.) <p>: You and I may have a duty to reduce the opportunities for predation of our domestic pets,<br>: as people already do by law in Western Australia, where a curfew operates and all cats<br>: have to wear collars with bells. But the natural behaviour of animals, which lack the capacity<br>: for moral choice, does not in any way justify our mistreatment of them in return. <p>: If you insist on arguing that it does, by the way, you should logically accept that some<br>: humans who cannot make moral judgements, patients in a persistent vegetative state or the<br>: severely demented, do not have rights either – and, presumably, are free to be<br>: experimented on for medical research. <p>: Most people rightly find this kind of reasoning unacceptable, without recognising that we live<br>: in a myopically anthropocentric culture. What I found astonishing about the Alder Hey organ<br>: scandal was the assumption that tissue from dead humans is too precious to be used for<br>: research, even to benefit people with debilitating diseases, while experiments on live<br>: animals are perfectly OK. <p>: All the evidence shows that the most destructive predator on earth is not the fox or the<br>: domestic cat, nor even the tigers whose natural habitat shrinks alarmingly every year. It is<br>: the human race, whose pitiless exploitation of other species diminishes our claim to belong<br>: to a higher moral order. (Even other primates such as chimpanzees and bonobos, which<br>: share almost 99 per cent of our genes, have not been spared.) <p>: Only in a twisted universe would mildly sick farm animals find themselves rounded up for<br>: premature slaughter, as is currently happening in Britain. That, rather than the economic<br>: plight of farmers, is what the grim policy of mass destruction confirms to many of us today. <p>: © 2001 Independent Digital (UK) Ltd.<p><br>
<br>

(User Above)":1varjnzw said:
: I send this in regard to your question about slaughter being the only treatment.<br>: Deborah<p>: Published on Sunday, March 4, 2001 in the Independent / UK<br>: Foot & Mouth Crisis<br>: To Be Killed for Having Flu Is As Sick As It<br>: Gets<br>: by Joan Smith<br>: <br>: Isn't it time somebody stood up for animals? Up and down the country, cows, pigs and<br>: sheep with the equivalent of a heavy cold, and others without symptoms that have been in<br>: contact with the affected animals, are being slaughtered and burned on ghastly funeral<br>: pyres. We have all seen pictures of the sky glowing a baleful red, while yet more animal<br>: carcasses are silhouetted starkly over the pits of death. Yet the whole business makes as<br>: much sense, in everything but economic terms, as putting down an entire primary school<br>: class because a few of the children happen to have sore throats. <p>: Foot and mouth is not a fatal disease. When government ministers, farmers and vets prefer<br>: to shoot thousands of animals rather than wait a few weeks for them to recover from an<br>: illness that does not pose a threat to human health, it is clear that something has gone<br>: hideously wrong with our relationship to the non-human world. In this case the cause is<br>: money, the fact that most modern farms are run, despite subsidies, on a tight budget that<br>: does not allow for looking after sick animals or a delay in the date when they can be sent<br>: for slaughter. <p>: Farmers would say, I suppose, that most of these creatures are destined for the abattoir<br>: anyway, so the cull merely brings forward what is inevitable. But the same cannot be said of<br>: feral animals, the deer, badgers and wild boar that may be hunted and shot as a<br>: consequence of the outbreak. What angers many people I have talked to in the past week<br>: is the way in which the photographs of burning carcasses symbolise the fact that farming is<br>: an industry, and a ruthless one that cares very little for animal welfare. <p>: And yes, I accept that most of us prefer not to know what goes on in slaughterhouses. One<br>: of the effects of the crisis has been to make me think about returning to a vegetarian diet,<br>: not out of concern for my own health but because of the horrors that modern farming<br>: imposes on animals, and I doubt whether I am alone in this. It also signals the need for an<br>: urgent reconsideration of our responsibilities towards the non-human world. In recent<br>: months, largely as a result of the debate over hunting with hounds, we have been subjected<br>: to a barrage of hostile propaganda about animals, from foxes to domestic cats. We are told<br>: about the damage foxes do to pheasants and chickens, and the number of rodents and<br>: birds killed by our moggies when they go hunting at night. <p>: There is no moral equivalence here, as the American philosopher Lori Gruen has pointed<br>: out: "It would be nonsensical to hold a lion morally responsible for the death of a gnu." (As I<br>: once explained to Clarissa Dickson Wright, a keen supporter of hunting, I expect human<br>: beings to have a more sophisticated grasp of moral responsibility than a fox.) <p>: You and I may have a duty to reduce the opportunities for predation of our domestic pets,<br>: as people already do by law in Western Australia, where a curfew operates and all cats<br>: have to wear collars with bells. But the natural behaviour of animals, which lack the capacity<br>: for moral choice, does not in any way justify our mistreatment of them in return. <p>: If you insist on arguing that it does, by the way, you should logically accept that some<br>: humans who cannot make moral judgements, patients in a persistent vegetative state or the<br>: severely demented, do not have rights either – and, presumably, are free to be<br>: experimented on for medical research. <p>: Most people rightly find this kind of reasoning unacceptable, without recognising that we live<br>: in a myopically anthropocentric culture. What I found astonishing about the Alder Hey organ<br>: scandal was the assumption that tissue from dead humans is too precious to be used for<br>: research, even to benefit people with debilitating diseases, while experiments on live<br>: animals are perfectly OK. <p>: All the evidence shows that the most destructive predator on earth is not the fox or the<br>: domestic cat, nor even the tigers whose natural habitat shrinks alarmingly every year. It is<br>: the human race, whose pitiless exploitation of other species diminishes our claim to belong<br>: to a higher moral order. (Even other primates such as chimpanzees and bonobos, which<br>: share almost 99 per cent of our genes, have not been spared.) <p>: Only in a twisted universe would mildly sick farm animals find themselves rounded up for<br>: premature slaughter, as is currently happening in Britain. That, rather than the economic<br>: plight of farmers, is what the grim policy of mass destruction confirms to many of us today. <p>: © 2001 Independent Digital (UK) Ltd.<br>I don't know about you Miss Smart Ass but when I get the Flu, I don't get puss modules on my tits and feet.<p>
<br>

(User Above)":1k0tsm85 said:
: : Can anyone tell me when hoof and mouth disease became foot and mouth disease, since all the animals that get it have cloven hoofs.<p>: Am here wondering the same thing, grew up on a farm and always thought that foot & mouth pertained to pigs only. Maybe one of our brighter newscasters misheard hoof & mouth to be foot & mouth.<p>: In the US the disease is called Hoof and Mouth<br>but in other English speaking contries it is many times called Foot and Mouth Disease due to different English words used for common items.
<br>

[email protected]

Everyone probably knows this by now, but since there was no follow up when I stopped by this site here is my two cents' worth in reply to your posting and some others. Hoof and Mouth disease (American, older usage, called Foot and Mouth by British and modern sources) is not bacterial but is a viral disease. It can not spread to humans from meat but can through milk or contact with the live animals. In humans it is a very mild disease. In livestock it is usually not fatal, but the more virulent forms can kill up to 50% of the infected animals. There is no treatment, as is the case with many viral diseases. There is a vaccine as a preventative. Slaughter is used to contain the disease, as it is extremely contagious. Although surely vaccination would be preferable, slaughter of hundreds or thousands of animals can save the lives of millions of others. Remember that there are still human diseases that could be better contained if money was available for massive vaccinations. Thank goodness we do not have to slaughter people, as was sometimes done during plagues in previous centuries.
<br>

(User Above)":1budxkp4 said:
: Amanada;<p>: You're pretty stupid for a second year tech. The newspapers even tell about vaccines. Give it up; get a job at MacDonalds.<p>R. Michelson,<p>People like you make me sick.<p>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":2acqsbtb said:
: : : Can anyone tell me when hoof and mouth disease became foot and mouth disease, since all the animals that get it have cloven hoofs.<p>: : Am here wondering the same thing, grew up on a farm and always thought that foot & mouth pertained to pigs only. Maybe one of our brighter newscasters misheard hoof & mouth to be foot & mouth.<p>: : In the US the disease is called Hoof and Mouth<br>: but in other English speaking contries it is many times called Foot and Mouth Disease due to different English words used for common items.<p>That certainly makes sense! I got on the internet just to find out why we heard so much about FOOT and mouth and not HOOF and mouth! I suppose sometimes WE have FOOT IN MOUTH.<br>
<br>

(User Above)":2hourazr said:
: : Answers such as yours are what present a picture of "stupid." Get a life!<p>: : Lynda<p>: : : You're pretty stupid for a second year tech. The newspapers even tell about vaccines. Give it up; get a job at MacDonalds.<br>: Hey LynDAAAA. Vaccines are iffy at best because they contain live bacteria that can infect a healthy cloven hoofed animal.<p>Hoof and mouth is a viral disease.<br>
<br>

(User Above)":35ip60y1 said:
: : Please help me! I am a second year vet tech student doing an oral presentation on Hoof and Mouth Disease in Cattle for my large animal diseases class. I have found a few sources but need advice on where to find specific cases to liven up my presentation. I have all the basics; causes, vaccines, countries affected, etc.<br>: : Does it tend to affect a certain breed of cow? There is no other way to treat besides slaughter, correct? Any advice anyone would have would be GREATLY appreciated.<br>: : Thanks!<p><br>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":uxnib5v3 said:
: : Can anyone tell me when hoof and mouth disease became foot and mouth disease, since all the animals that get it have cloven hoofs.<p>: Am here wondering the same thing, grew up on a farm and always thought that foot & mouth pertained to pigs only. Maybe one of our brighter newscasters misheard hoof & mouth to be foot & mouth.<p>Hoof and Mouth is the term most used in the US. Foot and Mouth is a term more commonly used in Britian and Europe.... so I'm told.
<br>

[email protected]

Bonnie is suffering from the first case of human foot in filthy mouth disease. Some people look for attention in the stangest ways and some people never grow up.
<br>

> Please help me! I am a second year
> vet tech student doing an oral
> presentation on Hoof and Mouth
> Disease in Cattle for my large
> animal diseases class. I have
> found a few sources but need
> advice on where to find specific
> cases to liven up my presentation.
> I have all the basics; causes,
> vaccines, countries affected, etc.
> Does it tend to affect a certain
> breed of cow? There is no other
> way to treat besides slaughter,
> correct? Any advice anyone would
> have would be GREATLY appreciated.
> Thanks! I am a vet tech in a large animal clinic. I was just discussing this with one of our vets. He informed me that there is no vaccine for hoof and mouth disease. The disease originated from sheep not pigs and it was then transferred to cattle through consumption. The sheep were slaughtered and not fully cooked down to by product and fed to the cattle. There is alot more to this disease. I would do some more research on this subject..it is creating quite a scare in the states right now.

[email protected]

Amanda, Check this sight out it explains a little more about this disease. And to all who responded to Amanda's question you should also check this out.www.aphis.usda.gov/oa/pubs/fsfmd.html

[email protected]

I'm curious about the economic impact of hoof/foot/paw/talon/flipper/tentacle-and-mouth disease (apologies to Dr. Jacobs). Obviously the meat (beef?) industry is adversely affected in the outbreak areas. What about dairy? Which specific products are being hurt (I assume beef/pork/lamb, but perhaps others)? Also, I thought I read that some areas in the new world, specifically South America (Argentina, Brazil..) now have been affected. This site contradicts itself on that point. What kinds of companies/business have been affected, negatively OR positively?

Maybe it's time to join the vegan bandwagon..?

[email protected]

Latest posts