Hoof Abcess

Help Support CattleToday:

Hoof abscess... in my opinion, antibiotic treatment of any kind is not indicated, and probably completely ineffective. Any 'improvement' one might see from treating with antimicrobials is coincidental, and more likely... imaginary. Establishing drainage is the key.

It's one thing for y'all to be pumping antibiotics into critters willy-nilly, but the vast majority of you have no business having xylazine in your hands. Flame away.

Hey Folks,
Listen to Luck P., he probably forgot more on Bovine Medicine than I know. One of a very few I
would PM if I had cows and questions. Graduate DVM 1975, xylazine only available as Rompun
as 100mg/ml and ok only for horses. Some scuttlebutt said work on cows and dogs, but no recognized dosages.
Was with colleague, he extrapolated dosage and gave IV to large Charolais bull. Sounded like earthquake
when he went down in chute. Dismantle chute and administer him for 6 hours before was stable and regain
footing. I personally overdosed an Irish setter female nursing puppies with mammary gland laceration. Had
to set up on IV and administer her and pups for 5-6 hours before she attained sternal recumbancy. Without
Veterinarian on hand both these would probably not have survived. Off my soapbox on availability of anesthetic
agents and lay use .
Wilson Lamar Parmer, DVM

True Grit Farms":v15syujo said:
Acepromazine and Rompun must be similar? A mix of those two is what we call a love potion.

Vince - Rompun is xylazine. Ace, is frequently used to sedate show stock.

wlamarparmer":2b7ndxp6 said:
Hey Folks,
Listen to Luck P., he probably forgot more on Bovine Medicine than I know. One of a very few I
would PM if I had cows and questions. Graduate DVM 1975, xylazine only available as Rompun
as 100mg/ml and ok only for horses. Some scuttlebutt said work on cows and dogs, but no recognized dosages.
Was with colleague, he extrapolated dosage and gave IV to large Charolais bull. Sounded like earthquake
when he went down in chute. Dismantle chute and administer him for 6 hours before was stable and regain
footing. I personally overdosed an Irish setter female nursing puppies with mammary gland laceration. Had
to set up on IV and administer her and pups for 5-6 hours before she attained sternal recumbancy. Without
Veterinarian on hand both these would probably not have survived. Off my soapbox on availability of anesthetic
agents and lay use .
Wilson Lamar Parmer, DVM

If I were more disciplined, I would stop while I am only about 3 feet down, and dig no further.

I had a heifer go down in the chute after a mild dose of Xylazine. I was by myself. I was able to open the side. Disturb her enough to get her out. I literally stayed on the ground with her for an hour moving her to keep her rumen from locking up. I was able to roll her from left to right to keep her physiological functions normal. I got out of that one only with a scare.

Will never risk it again.

PS- I was lucky I had the guillotine head catch. The saloon doors would have been a disaster.

Bright Raven":2x5f47yp said:
wlamarparmer":2x5f47yp said:
Hey Folks,
agents and lay use .
Wilson Lamar Parmer, DVM

If I were more disciplined, I would stop while I am only about 3 feet down, and dig no further.

I had a heifer go down in the chute after a mild dose of Xylazine. I was by myself. I was able to open the side. Disturb her enough to get her out. I literally stayed on the ground with her for an hour moving her to keep her rumen from locking up. I was able to roll her from left to right to keep her physiological functions normal. I got out of that one only with a scare.

PS- I was lucky I had the guillotine head catch. The saloon doors would have been a disaster.
How much did you administer Ron? I only use 1 cc total for what I do.

True Grit Farms":147bq0yb said:
Bright Raven":147bq0yb said:
wlamarparmer":147bq0yb said:
Hey Folks,
agents and lay use .
Wilson Lamar Parmer, DVM

How much did you administer Ron? I only use 1 cc total for what I do.

I used 3 mL (cc).

Very sorry. Just looked. .5 mL

Here Xylazine comes as 100mg/ml for horses and 20mg/ml cattle. Ruminants are very susceptible to Xylazine so pick up the wrong bottle and you are in big $hit.

Ken

I will have to look what I've got. I know a little less than 1/2 cc will make a calf rolling heifer go to a happy place while her calf is nursing for the first time. They then lay down and rest for a time and most come out of it to be nice Moms.

gcreekrch":q9unj12b said:
I will have to look what I've got. I know a little less than 1/2 cc will make a calf rolling heifer go to a happy place while her calf is nursing for the first time. They then lay down and rest for a time and most come out of it to be nice Moms.

I've never used it, always thought it would be a nice tool to have on hand. I do give everything I help a shot of oxytocin though

Silver":ev9zn0dz said:
gcreekrch":ev9zn0dz said:

I've never used it, always thought it would be a nice tool to have on hand. I do give everything I help a shot of oxytocin though

That too. Including the tight fisted old bags that won't let their milk down when you have to feed a calf.

gcreekrch":tsb6whpu said:
Silver":tsb6whpu said:
gcreekrch":tsb6whpu said:

That too. Including the tight fisted old bags that won't let their milk down when you have to feed a calf.

How do you manage to get your hands on the stuff? Have not met a vet yet that will give out either.

Aaron":rknpbhe1 said:
gcreekrch":rknpbhe1 said:
Silver":rknpbhe1 said:

How do you manage to get your hands on the stuff? Have not met a vet yet that will give out either.

Oxy is easy to get here, and cheap. I think $25 for a good bottle 250ml I think. Can't get the other stuff though. Gotta get lidocaine or duracaine smuggled up on the sly. They don't even like to part with catgut, but we do have a good relationship with a vet, and I think if I twisted his arm he would get me some Ace.

Silver":1rx6dmup said:
Aaron":1rx6dmup said:
gcreekrch":1rx6dmup said:

Oxy is easy to get here, and cheap. I think $25 for a good bottle 250ml I think. Can't get the other stuff though. Gotta get lidocaine or duracaine smuggled up on the sly. They don't even like to part with catgut, but we do have a good relationship with a vet, and I think if I twisted his arm he would get me some Ace.

Ace, lidocaine and catgut are only restricted by the veterinarian you deal with. Rompun is to some extent. This bottle has been here a long time.

A little lidocaine in a clean rag is kinda handy when a fingernail gets pulled of or you whack one with a hammer. Maybe that's why some won't give it out. "Non Prescribed Use" :D

gcreekrch":1aufbvz2 said:
Silver":1aufbvz2 said:
Aaron":1aufbvz2 said:

Ace, lidocaine and catgut are only restricted by the veterinarian you deal with. Rompun is to some extent. This bottle has been here a long time.

A little lidocaine in a clean rag is kinda handy when a fingernail gets pulled of or you whack one with a hammer. Maybe that's why some won't give it out. "Non Prescribed Use" :D

Huh. And here lidocaine is very easy to get, vets encourage people to have a bottle. But no way on Oxy.

Latest posts