honey bees

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
Anyone have some creative ideas to "move" honey bees? A huge amount (maybe a 2 foot round ball) decided to make a temporary nest on a pecan tree branch; bad part is that it's right behind the back yard, and we have 7 kids total running crazy between our house and the brother in law. I've used diesel and a fire to kill them before, but I've read that honey bee #'s have declined a lot, so I'd rather not kill them. I put a call in to a local bee keeper - but I've pretty much run out of ideas.....

Bet they will be gone in a few hours. I had two swarms fly over while working on fence last week. One of them settled on a tree limb not 25 feet from where I was at the time. I ignored them and finished what I was doing. Next morning they were gone.

Well I'll be Vett, you were right.

Went out at daylight this morning to feed the filly and they were gone. I'm glad I didn't burn them out!

When they are balled up on a branch like that they have just left their old home because of overcrowding. This is the time of year for it. also when they are balled up on a branch like that they are USUALLY not agressive. If your feeling confident you can hold a box under them and shake the branch. Most of the time they will fall into the box. The reason they are in ball is because there is a queen in the center of the ball. If you get the queen in the rest. Follow and you can close the box up and take it to your local beekeeper. They will greatly appreciate it and you get to look cool at the same time

hooknline":1ya9wk20 said:
you get to look cool at the same time

Thanks for the info- I didn't realize that they were on the move to establish a new home; by the way, I gave up looking cool a long time ago. :lol2:

cypressfarms":3epsdhx3 said:
hooknline":3epsdhx3 said:
you get to look cool at the same time

Thanks for the info- I didn't realize that they were on the move to establish a new home; by the way, I gave up looking cool a long time ago. :lol2:

:lol: Looking cool never looked good on either... :)

Latest posts