Honey Bees & Monsanto

Help Support CattleToday:

I think both the state and the beekeeper are over reacting.
The beekeepers gives are probably weak to begin with, ccd hit all bee keepers, and the state doesn't know what it's looking at or for, and had no right to go in and take his bees

I don't know about state law there but here it's mandatory that foulbrood hives be burned and inspecters can enter any registered beeyard any time they see fit. Here it is illegal to move foulbrood hives. They are to be burned on site when they're found.
It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that monsanto was flexing a little muscle behind the scenes but I think this guys a quack and they burned his hives to keep his neighbors from going out of business to foulbrood. The bees walling it off with propolis is not true for the ninety percent of managed hives that feed us. Instead it just slowly kills the hive and then when neighboring bees rob the leftovers it destroys them as well.
As far as the glophosate killing bees :bs: I've literally sprayed the stuff across the entrance of the hive during a nectar flow and I've never had the unexplained losses that other beekepers had. I had losses, but I know what did it.

1)Wikipedia says Roundup came on the market in 1976. That's 36 yrs. If it kills bees, it's killing them slowly.
2) I'm older than Roundup and in my life there have always been sensational stories that something is killing the bees. (And the bees health IS something we must be guarding)
3) The subject says he has documented evidence, so unless the state took his documents he should release the evidence to the public. Why has he held back something this important?
4) I won't defend the seizure of his hives, but I'm suspicious that he "just needed a little more time to prove his case against roundup" even though he already had "documented evidence" of the harm.
5) There is a segment of people who hate Monsanto so fervently that they want to hang the lot of them. The hatred colors their view and leads them to political action because they can't prove the science. These folks are usually found on street corners carrying signs about "frankenfoods" on one side and "Occupy" on the other.

Cp, ccd never hit you?
I've sprayed glyo within inches of hives as well and never saw any losses. I have to admit I don't know what the law here on foulbrood is, but then again I don't have to since they aren't my bees.

I'm curious if asome of those issues aren;t from the bees being so inbred for the past 100 years or so.

No... at least I don't think I did. I had a few really strange ones but never more than a hive or two at a time and I'm leaning towards tracheal mites. The rest that I lost were the usual suspects and that was my fault.
I will say that I have not lost a single hive since I sold out and kept a few for my own use. I switched to Weaver stock and haven't lost one in a few years and I don't treat them for anything. They are miserable to deal with but I don't have to deal with them very much.

dun":35pi0pq1 said:
I'm curious if asome of those issues aren;t from the bees being so inbred for the past 100 years or so.
Ccd hits about every 20 years or so from what Ive read. Starting back about 150 years ago. Of course they assume that's what was happening. Hard to say since I doubt they knew about mites, and all the other things that kill bees.

Cp, that stock is a little hot I hear. I know the buckfast line is. Also My friends ordered a bunch of Australians from a well known source and 75% were either drone layers or just a joke

The author of article might have more credibility if they didn't spend numerous paragraphs try to convinve you of the evils of round-up and Monsanto, to then turn around at the end and acknowledge that, oh, yeah, it could also be PESTICIDES responsible for the death of bees instead of an HERBICIDE.

:bang: :deadhorse: :bang:

Latest posts