honest reviews on stock trailers

Help Support CattleToday:

CCFZebu

Reaction score
we are switching from Bison to mini zebu (30 years in bison and need something a little slower, calmer, won't try to kill you). We are swapping trailers from a 26 ft steel Maverick to an aluminum. Looking at Duralite (can be had cheaper for a little extra drive) or Wilson or Hillsboro endura.
These are all new and we will be hauling cargo along with animals so we are keeping the same length.
Duralite is a little lighter 700 lbs or so but 500 miles to snag it
Hillsboro and Wilson are both around the Boise area and both have good reputations.

not looking at starting a firefight just some guidance. These will be pavement princesses with very little offroad travel.

I've heard good things about the Wilson trailers... if they're all new, perhaps you could stipulate delivery at least part way... If it's from a dealer that actually wants to sell something they'll probably go for it.
I have a hard time imagining you can load it to capacity with mini Zebu, so I wouldn't get too concerned about the weight... If they're too light they probably cheaped out somewhere!

Welcome to CT too :)

Hobby farming is frowned on here :D
That was a joke. Wilson is a good product.

"we are switching from Bison to mini zebu (30 years in bison and need something a little slower, calmer, won't try to kill you)"

Good Luck with that choice. Guy down the road has a bunch a exotics. His mini Zebu will hunt you down in a heatbeat. Nasty, vile little creatures. Hope yours aren't like his.

To stay on topic, I have had a Featherlite since 1995. It's been and still is an excellent trailer. Whatever you buy, look at the little things-how many hinges are on the back door. How many cross stringers are under it. What sort of floor. Can you grease the bearings easily. Is there a dealer close if you should need a repair. I'd be reluctant to buy a Hillsboro but I'd be all over a Wilson.

There's been nothing slow, calm or non-homicidal about the mini-zebu's I've been around either. We've gotten a couple sets of cows through the sale barn I work at and Chocolate Cow's description fits them to a tee. I too sure hope the ones you get aren't like that.

Trailer wise, you can't go wrong with a Wilson. I don't know anything about Duralite, not much about the Hillsboro aluminum, but had a steel Hillsboro once - not for long. It was stout, but pulled awfully hard for its size.

Agreed, I've seen a lot of people get small breeds because they're "easier to handle".. Dexters were the flavor around here, and outright psychotic.. Dumb little bull was mad at me, I had my hand over the edge of the dutch door of the barn.. he'd come up to me, sniff my hand, get all pizzy, back up and take a run at it, until it moved, when he'd get scared, then come and repeat the process... Definitely had 'little man syndrome'.
Just from what I've experienced, I'll take my big lummox any day of the week.. There are some well bred docile minis out there though.

I have one little zebu cow that went after me, tried to hurt me but after she tried and tried, I grabbed her horns and pulled her into the chute. My minis have been well trained and the ornery ones taste even better. My 4 yr daughter smacked my 3 yr mini bull because he shook his head at her, (trained her well also).
Last weekend I had an open range bison cow drop her head and charge me, stopping within 2 feet with me having no where to go. I can handle tiny things wanting to hurt me, the 1k lb. b!@#y cows trying is simply scary.
I think we will go with wilson after the new year.

I have a 20 foot Wilson I bought 4 years ago. I have stacked it full of cattle and pulled up over the Cascades a number of times. I absolutely love the trailer. A great solid built trailer that has great resale value. And it has never given me an ounce of trouble.

Latest posts