Honest Opinions Needed Please

Help Support CattleToday:

TCFC

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Hoping I can get some opinions here. I have been riding a horse for a while, basically riding him until he was sold. However, the owner was quite unhappy about selling the horse, as he has had him since he was a couple months old, and the horse is now 11.
Anyways, his owner told me that he did not really want to sell, and would only sell to a very good home, he was only selling because he has racehorses in training and really, the horse has become a pasture ornament recently, and as the horse loves attention, he is feeling left out :p.
Anyways, the reason for my question is, the owner saw me with the horse, and he really liked the way I worked with him, and is now offering practically free care and tack for the horse, with a VERY inexpensive purchase price and a payment plan.
This seems like an absolutely IDEAL situation... and I am finding it very hard to find reasons NOT to take him up on this offer. The horse is sound, healthy and very well broke to both saddle and harness, and has a very nice temperment, comes to me when I call him and is a pleasure to work with, as well as being a very nice fit size-wise.
However, my dilemma is I am in university right now, and while I am in the city I am going to university now, it will be no problem to have a horse. My problem is I may only have one year at this school, as I am applying to vet school an I hope to get in after next year, although it may be as long as 3 years before I get in... (if I get in ;) )

I guess my question is.. what would you do... or does anyone have any advice... I am terrible confused right now, it just seems to be too good of an offer to pass up...

TCFC

My wife and I have too much experience with post grad school. Your life will get nothing but crazy in the next few years, why complicate it with a horse you can't see that often? also, unless you're lucky enough to have plenty of money that you never, NEVER have to worry about it during Vet school, then money isn't an issue. My wife and I didn't know each other in school but we both were the typical starving student, never extra cash.

Finally as I got older I finally realized that if something seemed too good to be true than it probaby was (too good to be true).

Just food for thought.
Alan

That's sorta what i was thinking... but after getting about 15 "are you crazt! buy the horse!" responses... I was starting to think maybe I was overthinking... like I said, right now, and possibly for the next 3 years I will have free care... and he is only a 5 minute walk away, which would mean I would see him every day... but I always look to the future!

Thanks for a little backup here ;)

TCFC

There is never a guaranteed future. If you have the time now & the money & want to have your own horse I would buy it. Enjoy today! Don't worry about tomorrow( of course - within reason & common sense) If the time comes and you are moving away & can't board it where you are going - then worry about it. Maybe then you could bless someone else ( maybe a young kid dreaming of owning their own horse to love & take care of) with a too good to be true deal! I would love to come across a deal like that. Where do you live? Maybe I should buy him!

Whats the matter with you??? How can you even think about goiong to vet school if you dont have sense enough to buy a horse ever chance you get???LOL
Seriously....you will always regret it if you dont...BUY THAT HORSE!!! Good luck in school

i have lots of friends who had horses in vet school. it was an outlet for them, and believe me, you will need one!

I am in Nova Scotia.

I decided not to buy him :( This would not be my first horse, I have had 2 before him, and selling the last one before I went to first year university absolutely ripped me apart. I don't really want to put myself through that again when I have to concentrate on school at the moment if vet school is to become a real possibility. I can always ride him until he is sold, or lease a horse until I can no longer do it, without having to go through the hassle and heartbreak of selling a horse when the market is no good. (aka... all of the time it seems, ha ha ha).

Thanks for the suggestions guys,

Steph and Gus
c48dd1c7.jpg

Personally, I would have bought the horse. You can always lease it out to someone that is wanting a horse, but not sure if they'd be able to afford one. This would be the perfect way for them to find out. I would have the people checked out really good before trusting my horse to them.