Honest input cost variables

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie":1ebfvo8g said:
RanchMan90":1ebfvo8g said:
I suppose if I had any good business sense I would be in the cattle business and not the land business. If I sold off 80 acres of hayfield that would run perhaps 20 cows year round and bought 200 of the $1000 dollar cows. They could be put in a lease and care program for 60 cents a day + winter feed and medical expenses. Would surely make 10x the profit if I didn't have any sentiment to that little ol piece of dirt.

You'll always have sentiment. Buy a new place. Fix the fences, clean up the grass, get it producing. You can't help but be emotionally invested. When you flip it for more than double, its just business.

You're work and effort is some of that stuff TB is talking about. Its all on you. Sink or swim. Feels nice to be successful. It aint about thinking it out. Its about getting it done.

I flip 5-7 houses a year and I keep telling myself I need to try it with farms but can't find the right opportunity.

It has been gnawing at my brain lately. Is this a good move to sell overvalued land and buy undervalued cattle? To turn them out and care for them for 60 cents a day centainly seems reasonable, perhaps cheaper than I can do myself on payed for land.

I live in the "north" I guess. I have watched Atlas and other storms wipe out different operations. You speak of doing other work. Being a manager is my most important work. As atlas approached weather forecasts were for a very bad storm. I moved the cattle to my best shelter and put out feed. I saw very few the next day but the next day they counted out okay. I didn't need a government handout to replace my herd.

Waterway65":3ukwhxkq said:
I live in the "north" I guess. I have watched Atlas and other storms wipe out different operations. You speak of doing other work. Being a manager is my most important work. As atlas approached weather forecasts were for a very bad storm. I moved the cattle to my best shelter and put out feed. I saw very few the next day but the next day they counted out okay. I didn't need a government handout to replace my herd.

Well since you're profile doesn't give your location I'll ask, where are you located?

TennesseeTuxedo":sfq0pvf1 said:
Waterway65":sfq0pvf1 said:

Well since your profile doesn't give your location I'll ask, where are you located?