Honda bigred are john deer gator

Help Support CattleToday:

OSU cowboy22

Reaction score
We are looking to buy a UTV and was wondering I any one could help tell me some pros and con about these machines! THANKS!

I love my 4x6 gator! It has survived over 15 years with virtually no money other than service dollars being spend on it. It has survived 4 teenagers, and keeps on taking the licking and keeping on ticking.

The only problem I have now is that the most of the front end plastic (cosmetics) is gone, due to the gator being part of the herd. It gets bumped, kicked, and the molded plastic has been pretty much destroyed due to the random cow kick.

It has never let me down. I've serviced it, replaced 1 starter, 1 battery, and had the chains adjusted once. I also replaced the seats with some off of ebay that I love. Talk about cheap! This has been the ultimate in cheap as far as repairs are concerned.

Never been bogged down, has been hung up on a tree stump once, but rocking got it off. I can haul a 4x5 bale of hay, the wife, or the wonderful grand-daughter that is turning into my little farm girl.

I guess you could say I'm satisfied with my gator. :mrgreen:

Over the winter, I'm going to spend a few hundred $$$ on it to replace the front end, and will probably put new struts on the front.

I've worked the shizzle out of this thing and it never lets me down. Love it!

I would find out who is the actual manufacturer of the version of gator you;re interested in and compare the original with the Honda. I can;t see the point in paying extra for the JD name. Another criteria would be local service availibility

OSU cowboy22":348qoyh2 said:
We are looking to buy a UTV and was wondering I any one could help tell me some pros and con about these machines! THANKS!

We looked at the JD Gator when we were in the market. When I saw that it had a Kawasaki motor I decided to go ahead adn buy the Kawasaki Mule and save a couple thousand bucks. Don't know if they still have the Kawasaki engines now are not as this was 5 years ago.

the new jd gator is about 1000 dollars cheaper then the honda and from what I here might be a better machine! thanks alot!

OSU cowboy22":foyefv8k said:
the new jd gator is about 1000 dollars cheaper then the honda and from what I here might be a better machine! thanks alot!

I looked at and drove the gator. I looked at and drove the kubota 500. I chose the 500. I am glad I did. This thing can and will go anywhere I want it to. I have yet to get stuck. I have yet to have to lock the differential as it has ample power. I haul feed through streams, and muddy entry ways filled with watery ruts and it screams "I WANT MORE YOU WOOSY"

S&WSigma40VEShooter":en1yckel said:
I looked at and drove the gator. I looked at and drove the kubota 500. I chose the 500. I am glad I did. This thing can and will go anywhere I want it to. I have yet to get stuck. I have yet to have to lock the differential as it has ample power. I haul feed through streams, and muddy entry ways filled with watery ruts and it screams "I WANT MORE YOU WOOSY"

S&W....

probably the ONLY thing that's ever gotten away with calling you a "WOOSY" eh?? hehehe :lol2: :p :nod:

you can't go wrong with either one (big red, gator or mule).....that said I grew up racing dirt bikes and atv's and have owned them all....for doing the chores around the farm I currently own a 5 yr old gator hpx....it's not fast but with it's dump bed and kawasaki motor it has been nothing but reliable (and we abuse that thing)....I believe you need to drive them and see which one you prefer.....the other deciding factor would be how good your local dealer is, all things being equal go with the better dealer.

LazyARanch":3lxevv9i said:
S&WSigma40VEShooter":3lxevv9i said:

S&W....

probably the ONLY thing that's ever gotten away with calling you a "WOOSY" eh?? hehehe :lol2: :p :nod:

Darned right.

Which ever one you get make sure its fuel injected. Otherwise it will be cold natured in the winter time possibly and you may have to tinker with the carb to get her going.

Does anyone have any experience with a diesel UTV?? I'm wanting a diesel w/cab & heater, Something that the doors can be removed & replaced fast & easy, Any Ideas? Within 50 miles I have 3 Kubota, 2 Mule, 2 Honda dealers. The Deere dealer is about 65 miles away.

10-e-c-dirtfarmer":2lo7jiid said:
Does anyone have any experience with a diesel UTV?? I'm wanting a diesel w/cab & heater, Something that the doors can be removed & replaced fast & easy, Any Ideas? Within 50 miles I have 3 Kubota, 2 Mule, 2 Honda dealers. The Deere dealer is about 65 miles away.

Im partial to kubota myself so kubota 900. Ive driven one they are nice. If you really want to go for broke get the 1100.

10-e-c-dirtfarmer":y05xzrdu said:
Have someone drive one past you a couple of times then drive it yourself. They've quited them down a good deal since I had one but they still seem a lot louder/moisier then the gas engines

[/quote]
Have someone drive one past you a couple of times then drive it yourself. They've quited them down a good deal since I had one but they still seem a lot louder/moisier then the gas engines[/quote]

The noise aint no problem, I've lost 90% of my hearing in both ears! :D

Have someone drive one past you a couple of times then drive it yourself. They've quited them down a good deal since I had one but they still seem a lot louder/moisier then the gas engines[/quote]

The noise aint no problem, I've lost 90% of my hearing in both ears! :D[/quote]
Sounds like you have it made.
Tom.

Latest posts