homozygous black

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Just had a calf born sired by Cigar a homozygous black bull out of an angus cow...calf had 4 white feet and a white tip on his tail...Is this supposed to happen with the white? Thanks for responses

[email protected]

It depends on if the cow is a purebred Angus and what the base breed of the bull is. Spotting and odd color location genes crop up with some strange results. Homozygous black only refers to the basic color controlled by the Bb gene pair.

dun

> Just had a calf born sired by
> Cigar a homozygous black bull out
> of an angus cow...calf had 4 white
> feet and a white tip on his
> tail...Is this supposed to happen
> with the white? Thanks for
> responses

I was refering to the PAIR of genes for base color not how the gene pair would be depicted. I thought that might be clearer depicted by Bb rather then BB, but o matter how I did it, it probably woulodn't have been clear. Oh well, so go the wars. The cow could be heterozygous for black or Bb, with the bull being BB the calf could be BB or Bb, but that has no affect on the spotting gene pair or pairs. I saw a study on faciqal colors that said the reason HerefordXAngus has a white face is because the Angus has basically a null pair for face color and the Hereford has a dominant pair for that trait. Once you start geetting into spotting, diluter and modifier gene pairs the results get strange.

dun

> Doesn't homozygous refer to BB and
> herterozygous refer to Bb?

I just didn't understand what you ment at first. I've taken a lot of biology classes on genetics and I kinda got confused with your explaination for a bit. I just ment to say that a homozygous animal is BB as if a polled homozygous animal will produce all polled offspring whereas a Bb animal has 50% polled offspring.

A BB will alwasy have black offspring, a Bb will have red offsoring if bred to a Bb or bb. That still doesn't address spots, modifiers and diluters.

dun

> I just didn't understand what you
> ment at first. I've taken a lot of
> biology classes on genetics and I
> kinda got confused with your
> explaination for a bit. I just
> ment to say that a homozygous
> animal is BB as if a polled
> homozygous animal will produce all
> polled offspring whereas a Bb
> animal has 50% polled offspring.

Latest posts