Homozygous black, horned black gelbvieh

Help Support CattleToday:

BIZIN

Reaction score
Hello guys, wondering if anyone out there knows of a gelbvieh breeder, with good stock, who would have some homozygous black, HORNED black gelbvieh bulls for sale. And if they were linebred stock that would be the topping on the cake, but I could settle without the linebred, but need the horns and homozygous black.

BIZIN":hlsa7x3f said:
Hello guys, wondering if anyone out there knows of a gelbvieh breeder, with good stock, who would have some homozygous black, HORNED black gelbvieh bulls for sale. And if they were linebred stock that would be the topping on the cake, but I could settle without the linebred, but need the horns and homozygous black.

Would sure like to hear the rest of that story. Everyone I know of in the Gelbvieh breed has spent the last 30 years getting rid of the horns. I suppose some of the old fullblood reds might have some horned getetics laying around. My guess is the only horned bulls you are going to find are resting in a Nitrogen bath somewhere.

Why not contact the Gelbvieh Assn.

hillsdown":z6hqulsy said:
If it is homo blk it sure as heck won't be horned .
Not necesarrily horned genes may still be hidden just like the Red in angus.

I doubt it Dun, you might be able to find a blk, hetero polled, bull, but more than likely not a homoblk horned bull. I was just looking through over 200 blk GV AI sires and they were all polled, and mostly homo polled at that.

It is a little different than the red in blk Angus ,as GV's were never meant to be blk to begin with . The full bloods were a light red(gold), then over time became a deeper red and now with the influence of blk Angus(which are all homo polled) some have become blk .

BIZIN":36uqa7zt said:
Is there any horned red herds out there?

Look at a bull called Independence. He is hetero polled................I KNOW he throws horns.......real good bull tho

Reason we want horned is I grew up horned hereford and as a cattle buyer and running a feedlot I do notice that horned cattle half that extra bit of performance and heartyness. Dont want to start a horned or polled argument, thats my experience is all. Looking for this bull for my composite experiment.

BIZIN":3u8mkb7h said:
Reason we want horned is I grew up horned hereford and as a cattle buyer and running a feedlot I do notice that horned cattle half that extra bit of performance and heartyness. Dont want to start a horned or polled argument, thats my experience is all. Looking for this bull for my composite experiment.

Look at Independence if he was homo polled I would use the crap out of him. If you breed any hetero GV bull to a HH you should get horns.

3waycross":kwesxywm said:
BIZIN":kwesxywm said:

Look at Independence if he was homo polled I would use the crap out of him. If you breed any hetero GV bull to a HH you should get horns.
Most of the time anyway, there is still that percentage that statistically would be polled.
We have one cow that was bred up to 1B Red Angus, back about 5 generations is Signal (horned). We bred her 3 times to BooBoo(hetero polled), 2 polled calves and one horned.

Are there any linebred gelbvieh herds out there. Maybe I should concentrate on genetics and the potency of those genetics before i worry about horns or not.

I have a red horned GV bull he is a 11 months old now. His dam just received the dam of merit award and he is out of my Moderator clean up bull Max who is hetero polled.

His dam is a Twin Star cow ,if you are familiar with the herd, they were one of the foundation GV herds in Canada.

3waycross":kj6hz9mn said:
...If you breed any hetero GV bull to a HH you should get horns.

Not necessarily so. Over time and with sufficient numbers you will see close to 50% horned and 50% hetero polled.

Mid South Guy":3sijzyu3 said:
3waycross":3sijzyu3 said:

Not necessarily so. Over time and with sufficient numbers you will see close to 50% horned and 50% hetero polled.

I didn't say you would get 100% horned cattle. I could be wrong but I think your perchantages might be wrong. Wouldn't it be closer to 75% horned and 25% polled.

Just curious but what would you get breeding hetero polled to hetero polled.

There is alwasy one problem with probabilitys. The cows don;t read the books. Granny is heteroblack and has been bred to a Red Angus, Polled Hereford or red Fleck bull for the past 14 years. Last year was only her second red calf, the first was 12 years ago.

dun":1pjf6dvx said:
There is alwasy one problem with probabilitys. The cows don;t read the books. Granny is heteroblack and has been bred to a Red Angus, Polled Hereford or red Fleck bull for the past 14 years. Last year was only her second red calf, the first was 12 years ago.

And that my friends is the difference in chances and odds.

3waycross":280ewvb4 said:
Mid South Guy":280ewvb4 said:
3waycross":280ewvb4 said:

I didn't say you would get 100% horned cattle. I could be wrong but I think your perchantages might be wrong. Wouldn't it be closer to 75% horned and 25% polled.

Just curious but what would you get breeding hetero polled to hetero polled.

I have a few like that in my herd so as an example I will give you Kaylea . She had her 5th calf last Feb ,and that 5th is horned the rest were polled . So that is a 20% chance of horns using hetero polled on hetero polled. I AI'd her to Astro so we will see what she has this season. ;-)

Red Bull Breeder":3l4ijekm said:
dun":3l4ijekm said:

And that my friends is the difference in chances and odds.

Not really. Black is the dominant gene compared to red. Put red and black together youre gonna get black almost 90 percent. All else being equal