Homo Black

Help Support CattleToday:

KT> My error. You were clear about it being Sem-Angus. I was thinking of black as a color which red is a part thereof
and black angus which carries a red gene, and in as much as you were checking for red genes it would give some
validity to my reasoning. Buck's answer should have the means to answer your question.

I use Neogen. They started using an electronic order system a year or two ago. The process is not always intuitive, but it works. Another option is UCDavis Veterinary Genetics Lab, but they charge $25.

Either one can use a hair sample of about 30 hairs. I use clean pliers and pull hair from the end of the tail (switch). The hairs should have root bulbs, otherwise they are no good. Sometimes I get pieces of dead skin and include that as well; there's DNA in that too.

I use Neogen. They started using an electronic order system a year or two ago. The process is not always intuitive, but it works. Another option is UCDavis Veterinary Genetics Lab, but they charge $25.

Either one can use a hair sample of about 30 hairs. I use clean pliers and pull hair from the end of the tail (switch). The hairs should have root bulbs, otherwise they are no good. Sometimes I get pieces of dead skin and include that as well; there's DNA in that too.
Thanks, it hadn't occurred to me to pull the hairs out.

My reason for wanting to know is that I do have some red cows and if this bull has a red gene I will put those with a homo black bull at a different farm.

Thanks, it hadn't occurred to me to pull the hairs out.
Hair samples is how we have done it in the past in going through the Angus Association. With your calf being out of a Sim bull, I'd reckon the Simmental Association or possibly direct to a company would be the routes to go through.

Latest posts