Homework

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I hated it, when I was a kid. Infact, I actually quit doing it by high school. As a parent of 3 small children, I hate it even worse now. It interferes with everything. Atleast 2 hours worth per night, per child. With the television off, and all distractions iliminated it still takes forever. It is the prime time of the year for me to get some things done. I helped build some idiotic imaginary animal out of clay tonight for 3 hours.

Bigfoot,

A few years ago, my wife retired from teaching after having spent 32 years teaching high school English, particularly Honors and Advanced Placement. We have always disagreed about homework. I don't believe there should be any. Kids in the area where we live ride a schoolbus for upwards of an hour to get to school. Then they fritter away some time waiting for all of the other kids to arrive so that school can be started. They do class work, breaks, lunch, and other stuff for 6 or 7 hours. They then ride an hour or so on the bus to get home. Kids are occupied with "school stuff" for 8 or 9 hours per day.

And then teachers want them to work on a couple of hours of homework? They're kids! A forty hour work week ought to be enough. Schools are trying to get the kids to work for 50 or 60 hours per week including homework on nights and weekends.

Like virtually everything else that the government touchs, it's ridiculous.

Tom in TN

bigfoot--it took you 3 hrs to build an imaginary clay animal??
It's imaginary, so it can look any way you want it to...there's no 'wrong' way..... :hide:

Bigfoot, are you doing it for them? My son went to school in Helena, MT. I don't remember being that involved in his homework that it tied me up every night. I did ask to look at it. I was more involved during 7,8, and 9 grades than anytime. Maybe you are getting over-involved.

TennesseeTuxedo":ioalih7z said:
Cherish this time in their lives and be thankful for every moment you can spent sculpting their young minds. It will be over in the blink of an eye and you'll miss those dreaded homework sessions.

Tux, I second that.

Tom in TN":34fi2qxu said:
Bigfoot,

A few years ago, my wife retired from teaching after having spent 32 years teaching high school English, particularly Honors and Advanced Placement. We have always disagreed about homework. I don't believe there should be any. Kids in the area where we live ride a schoolbus for upwards of an hour to get to school. Then they fritter away some time waiting for all of the other kids to arrive so that school can be started. They do class work, breaks, lunch, and other stuff for 6 or 7 hours. They then ride an hour or so on the bus to get home. Kids are occupied with "school stuff" for 8 or 9 hours per day.

And then teachers want them to work on a couple of hours of homework? They're kids! A forty hour work week ought to be enough. Schools are trying to get the kids to work for 50 or 60 hours per week including homework on nights and weekends.

Like virtually everything else that the government touchs, it's ridiculous.

Tom in TN

I totally agree! If the if the schools are going to send them home to actually learn their work then why send them to school at all?

Bigfoot":33xjjdx3 said:
I hated it, when I was a kid. Infact, I actually quit doing it by high school. As a parent of 3 small children, I hate it even worse now. It interferes with everything. Atleast 2 hours worth per night, per child. With the television off, and all distractions iliminated it still takes forever. It is the prime time of the year for me to get some things done. I helped build some idiotic imaginary animal out of clay tonight for 3 hours.

I feel your pain .. trust me.

My first grader has had homework every night of school so far and was told it would continue. I'm on the no homework or minimal homework bandwagon too! If they would take out some of the fluff and BS they could get plenty done during school hours.

inyati13":1am6ga5c said:
Bigfoot, are you doing it for them? My son went to school in Helena, MT. I don't remember being that involved in his homework that it tied me up every night. I did ask to look at it. I was more involved during 7,8, and 9 grades than anytime. Maybe you are getting over-involved.

I get a little hands on with something like that diaroma. I don't mind helping them study for a test. It's just a sweet time of year to be fooling with homework.

TennesseeTuxedo":3alh951y said:
Cherish this time in their lives and be thankful for every moment you can spent sculpting their young minds. It will be over in the blink of an eye and you'll miss those dreaded homework sessions.
Amen to that!!!

I used to get frustrated as well with the homework issue with my kids... looking back, it was time well invested!

Latest posts