HOMEMADE SRAY RIG?

Help Support CattleToday:

RICHARDL

Reaction score
ANYONE EVER made a spray rig at home? I mean a spray rig that will spray 30'-40' on a barrel or good sizr tank? i used a homemade rig with a diaphram pump but the mixture i used, i belive messed up the diagphrams. lets say it had a little petroluem base to it. I NEED the flow rate pretty high the one i used had a 4.9 gpm. worked well . but it didn't make the next trip and i have a lot to spray and atv sprayers just don't cut it at all. i'm tired of playing around i need power :cowboy:

Go to Southern States and you'll find that they have the good stuff to make the rig with. The only problem using them with an atv is that you'll run your battery down pretty quick.

When we run ours on the JD Gator, we add a deep cycle marine battery into the mix to give us more power. That makes it work much better for a long period of time.

IT WON'T BE USED on a ATV. it will be used in a boat with a battery. we just need fire power. we are talking 55 gallon drums. what we want to do it have quick connects so we can suck water from the pond to fill up the drum and chemical mix, than un do that and put that end in the drum and use the discharge side to spray. that way we don't ahve to bring water with us or use a bucket to re-fill. i know someone has got to have do this thanks i'll go look at what they have :cowboy:

RICHARDL":jit1a3r0 said:
ANYONE EVER made a spray rig at home? I mean a spray rig that will spray 30'-40' on a barrel or good sizr tank?

If you are asking about a PTO driven pump and a unit for pulling behind a tractor, pm Caustic Burno. He spent pennies on the dollar building his rig versus the unit I bought. He likely has a better unit too. I am going to build my next unit.

NO, no pto where i'm going, has to be somewhat light weight, battery or small engine powered. We are trying out a water pump soon, gasoline engine (3HP) ANd just reducing the discharge somewhat for pressure, but we haven't profected it as of yet. When you say Southern states Is that Southern states coop? I looked at that site didn't see much. maybe i was looking in the wrong place??

RICHARDL":362rl7n0 said:
NO, no pto where i'm going, has to be somewhat light weight, battery or small engine powered. We are trying out a water pump soon, gasoline engine (3HP) ANd just reducing the discharge somewhat for pressure, but we haven't profected it as of yet. When you say Southern states Is that Southern states coop? I looked at that site didn't see much. maybe i was looking in the wrong place??

Yes, Southern States Coop. Don't look at the web, find you a store. They've got a bunch of stuff that is not on the web. If you can't find one, send me a pm and I'll give you the number to our local store. They can hook you up.

Get up a gas pump put a injector in line and a hand gun spayer on end...So of like a very large hose end spayer

THIS is what we came up with. We got a cheap water pump from Harbor freight. reduced the discharge line from 1" to 3/4" . Got a good quailty water hose, with spray nozzle. Took off all the connection that came with the pump so we were down to all threaded connections, no hose clamps because it blew them all off. So threaded was the way to go. That was the first test. second test of all thread connections, suck 5 gallons of water in about 1 min. With a spray of about 30-40 feet of good soaking spray. So we will use a 55 gallon drum with our mix of chemicals. What we are working on next is to have quick connects on the suction side so we can use that to fill the drum with the water where ever we may be instead of having tote 55 gallons of water. We'll just fill it up where we need it . switch over. and spray. :cowboy:

YUP, we knew that, but its like a test model. We also got the extended warranty. ha ha 1 year anything goes wrong we get a new one. it was onlt $119 for the pump another $10 for warranty. But you figure. i ordered an electric diaphram model with shipping was $168. and you are not suppose to use any petrouluem products thru it it works great also. but it won;t last a year. they never do. but it will empty a 30 gallon tank in 10-15 min. So for $130 for the cheap pump. if we try not to break it. it will last almost a year we'll get more use out of it, for cheaper and at the end of the year when it breaks we get another so for 2 years while we work out the kinks we paid $130 compared to $168 . than we'll move on to a better pump or come up with something different :cowboy:

RICHARDL":11i0mm5h said:
IT WON'T BE USED on a ATV. it will be used in a boat with a battery. we just need fire power. we are talking 55 gallon drums. what we want to do it have quick connects so we can suck water from the pond to fill up the drum and chemical mix, than un do that and put that end in the drum and use the discharge side to spray. that way we don't ahve to bring water with us or use a bucket to re-fill. i know someone has got to have do this thanks i'll go look at what they have :cowboy:

Trying to spray pond water is a dicey prospect, at least around here.
You'll need lots of screens, and spend a lot of time cleaning screens.

THAT IS why we are using a small 2 stroke gas powered water pump. trash? what trash? oh there it goes flyin out of the nozzle. ha ha. screens are not neccessary on this pump on a electric diaphram pump definetly. but our water is reltively clean if you are careful :cowboy:

RICHARDL":2uazh92q said:
THAT IS why we are using a small 2 stroke gas powered water pump. trash? what trash? oh there it goes flyin out of the nozzle. ha ha. screens are not neccessary on this pump on a electric diaphram pump definetly. but our water is reltively clean if you are careful :cowboy:

At the nozzle is where I have had problems.

WE ARE USING A pretty much open nozzle sim. to a fire figthers. theres no closing it. start it up and hang on takes 2 people one to start & stop an the other sprays :cowboy:

What are we spraying? We duck hunt along the gulf coast of the great state of Louisana, and Since they turn the marsh into a fresh water marsh, they have waht we call row zo cane. EXtremely hard to kill. If we don't spray. it will take over our Duck ponds no ponds no ducks. And we take our duck hunting very seriously down here. That stuff growsso thick you can even walk thru it, dogs can't or won't go thru it. And it grows :cowboy: tall So we mix 2-4-d Rememdy, tad bit o diesel & dawn soap. Kills it. but if we use a Atv type sprayer rig. Its like wasting $$$ we need something that will spray long, Hard & wide to to get the coverage needed to kill it. after it dies we burn. after we burn we spary again gotta do that for a few years just to keep it at bay or until the regular marsh grass grows back to choke it out. There are a few Air boat services that will do it and they use the same setup as we are trying but run there lines so it sparys out behind the boat and blasts it at the cane.

Latest posts