Homemade Feed Storage Bin...What You Got?

Help Support CattleToday:

robertwhite

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying bulk feed and I really don't want (or need) a 8-10 ton storage bin. I figure I could make something to hold 3-4 tons max as I only go through that much (in bags) a year. I feed very little grain during the spring/summer season.

I'm sure I could build something, just need a kick start on ideas. It must be fully enclosed and could have tires or be built on a pallet or 4x4's to allow for mobility when needed.

Don't really want to go with a gravity wagon as they have no top which in my mind allows mice/rats/snakes to enter.

Also trying to figure out bag cost vs bulk cost and see if it is even worth it (if I save only $50 a year, its definitely not worth it) to get or build a bin.

Thoughts?

Well the gravity bin with a roll over sheet works well, so does an old truck with a box and hoist. Even if the motor is shot run the hoist from a tractor.

Was using a wooden grain bin, but they let mice in. Certainly way more than a gravity bin would.

The small raised hopper bins are great.

Don't know if this will help or not, it's what I did. I hooked my fat calf shed and bird houses to an old grain bin, and built
cribs inside
Looking at it outside
232323232%7Ffp635%3B6%3Enu%3D4%3B89%3E%3B%3A7%3E256%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3C2676747347nu0mrj

One of the cribs
232323232%7Ffp733%3C7%3Enu%3D4%3B89%3E%3B%3A7%3E256%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3C2676746347nu0mrj

Looking down the hallway where I feed the fat calves
232323232%7Ffp63554%3Enu%3D4%3B89%3E%3B%3A7%3E256%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3C2684%3B5%3A347nu0mrj

I bought a gravity wagon and put a heavy tarp on it with a section of a old hay ring to support. It sits outside, so far so good for a year. We buy 3 tons at a time and save $30 or better a ton. We have paid for it all in a year.

You would have to scoop the feed out but an old chest freezer is darn hard to beat.

dun":uetpb50w said:
You would have to scoop the feed out but an old chest freezer is darn hard to beat.

Thought of that already, but figured even a large one would hold maybe 1/2 a ton. (5 gallon bucket holds 30lbs. So maybe 25-30 buckets in a freezer)?????

i use 55 gal barrels (metal) and fill 4 at a time. make sure your trailer has a wooden floor, those barrels are hell to move aroyund on a screen trailer floor...

That's Polly, he has no feathers on his neck, sholders or head. Just a top know and a kind of beard. Friends will come by to steal birds to hunt, pheasants and quail, and all they talk about is my chickens. gs

plumber_greg":336g1bxq said:
Don't know if this will help or not, it's what I did. I hooked my fat calf shed and bird houses to an old grain bin, and built
cribs inside
I have a grain bin about the same size, and they can be had for a couple hundred on old farm steads. I would like a hopper bottom and auger under it but I am afraid to price it out. Has anyone done this?

CKC1586":11yakuc7 said:
Isomade":11yakuc7 said:
jedstivers":11yakuc7 said:
Well Greg, you get the ugliest rooster award.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I didnt even see that the first time. :lol:
That thing is a live bird!? I thought it was one of those cutt out silouette thingys!!
Just looks like a turken (aka Transylvanian Naked Neck Chicken) to me.

We just bought a used hopper bottom bin that will hold about 10 tons of corn gluten for $300. Gave an extra $150 for the auger which we aren't even using. Had to patch a few holes with bondo for $30 and now have good water tight storage. We made a slide gate at the bottom and fill a five gallon bucket at the time to feed. We used to shovel or scoop it out of an old grain bin, but I'm unlikely to do that again. There are lots of old chicken houses around here. We found this bin on craig's list.

Latest posts