Homemade Chute

Help Support CattleToday:

Mongoose":xqqrjipt said:
Its a lil confusing but if I look at it long enough I will get it.

In the lower right picture, he is showing the gate in the open position in dark red, then showing it pulled onto the cow in a lighter shade. I have never seen it done like that. Looks like it could work. We achieve the same function with medina gates. TXBobcat has some good medina gate pics in some of his posts.

Yeah I have a pretty good idea now of what I am going to do. I went to a buddies house yesterday and he had a homemade chute. It wasnt a squeeze though, just a catch pen then a lane leading to the head gate. Thanks for all the help.

ERodrig":27o192js said:
I'll try and send you some drawings of what I did for a squeeze. It's actually quite easy once you figure it out and I only needed to add a good 8' gate and some hinges to the inside of my chute. I put the hinges at the bottom so that the top squeezes towards the other side. I hold it in place with some chain and a good anchor bolt. It's hard to describe, but easy to build. Only cost about 80 bucks and it holds my 1700 lb bull when he's mad.

please send me a copy of it to. thanks

Commercial stuff is really just two gates side by side opening opposite ways.
IE hinged on opposite sides . Pushing one gate on the cow squeezes the head and pushing the other side gate in squeezes the rump. With both in it squeezes the whole cow

tytower":1b3gftfm said:
Commercial stuff is really just two gates side by side opening opposite ways.
IE hinged on opposite sides . Pushing one gate on the cow squeezes the head and pushing the other side gate in squeezes the rump. With both in it squeezes the whole cow

Your commercial squeeze chutes must be made a whole lot different then any I've ever seen in the US.

Mongoose,

I bought "store bought" squeeze chute and head gate.

The corral and lead in chutes I built with pressure treated wood.

In retrospect, I would buy a "store bought" unit complete. They have the circular crowd pen, and all the right stuff .

I work my cows alone, so I need all the help I can get.

Plus, the safety factor, if I get hurt, my operation shuts down.

I'd rather spend $5,000 on safe cattle handling equipment, rather than $5,000 in medical expenses, or worse.

I built our chute itself out of 2x material and at the end I am going to lag a headgate to two 6x6 posts. The posts are pinned to the concrete floor and lagged to the beam above that holds up the loft floor.

Since I have been doing some upgrade on my cowpen.I just do the loading shoot too.After I make it big enough for my bull.To make it narrow with 2X6 inserts?Either bolts,counter sink the heads or with brackets like a J upside down?I might have to bite the bullet buy one of those $5,000 Squeeze Shutes.Sure makes it easier working alone with brahma cows.

Latest posts