Homemade Chute

Help Support CattleToday:

Mongoose

Reaction score
I have heard people talking about how you can build your own chute out of wood. Can anyone here explain in detail how to do this?

Thanks for the link. One other question though I know you can build the chute out of wood but you still have to buy the actual squeeze to put at the end of the chute right? Or can you also build that some how?

You can build the head gate out of wood, but I wouldn;t want to use it on anything but very calm cattle. The aqueeze is the function of the chute sides closing to "squeeze" the body of the cow

So really the only thing I would need to buy is a head gate, the kind that you just hook on or hang on wood posts?

Mongoose":2dt7fv3y said:
So really the only thing I would need to buy is a head gate, the kind that you just hook on or hang on wood posts?

Correct. In most cases you don;t even need real squeeze. You can mount heavy panels or gates to a couple of 5x5s and hang the head gate off of the front of the posts. May not be ideal, but it works

Mongoose":12s8joky said:
Make sure you bolt the head gate to the posts. I used threaded rod through the posts.Run 2X6's overhead between the first two sets of posts to tie them together.

We have two light pole butt cuts that we have the head gate hanging on. I didn't go to the link but be sure to have a half-gate that drops down so you can castrate.

FlaAngus":9zge16oh said:
We have two light pole butt cuts that we have the head gate hanging on. I didn't go to the link but be sure to have a half-gate that drops down so you can castrate.

Yeah I know what you mean. I was at the sale barn yesterday for customer appreciation day and the local co-op had a brand new squeeze down there. It had everything! I mean you could do anything with this chute. It was about $5,000 thats with all the gadgits. Thanks for the replys, it really helped. 8)

I've used both of those websites mentioned by JW and Dun along with several others on the web. I have a wooded area on my property that I used as a small corral that then funnels into my chute. I made it out of 6x6 pressure treated posts and lined the sides with 2x12s, but you can use 2x6's. I then cross braced those and ran my cattle through to ensure that the width was tight enough so that they couldn't turn around. At the end where the head gate is located the width between the sides is only about 29 inches or so, but I can make it smaller or larger by simply removing boards that I've stacked to create a tight chute.

I looked at 5465 that looks about like the one I would want, but I think it would be VERY hard to build. I think I am just going to get a headgate sometime and hang, just forget about the squeeze part of it. Also have a half gate on both sides I think that would work pretty good.

I'll try and send you some drawings of what I did for a squeeze. It's actually quite easy once you figure it out and I only needed to add a good 8' gate and some hinges to the inside of my chute. I put the hinges at the bottom so that the top squeezes towards the other side. I hold it in place with some chain and a good anchor bolt. It's hard to describe, but easy to build. Only cost about 80 bucks and it holds my 1700 lb bull when he's mad.

ERodrig":inc8e50i said:
I'll try and send you some drawings of what I did for a squeeze. It's actually quite easy once you figure it out and I only needed to add a good 8' gate and some hinges to the inside of my chute. I put the hinges at the bottom so that the top squeezes towards the other side. I hold it in place with some chain and a good anchor bolt. It's hard to describe, but easy to build. Only cost about 80 bucks and it holds my 1700 lb bull when he's mad.

I'd like info too if you please!

Horticattleman":2122jdyt said:
ERodrig":2122jdyt said:

and me too, please!

KNERSIE":3vd521ls said:
Horticattleman":3vd521ls said:
ERodrig":3vd521ls said:

and me too, please!

I'd be interested in your squeeze also. any help is appreciated.

Sorry everyone. I was in the hospital and just got out. I'll get it to you as best I can.

Buddie of mine was in Brazil. He said the ranch there ran (30,000 as I remember it) several head of cattle and they all passed through a wood squeeze chute. It had a wood head catch and a wood flank catch that had long poles for leverage that the gouchos squeezed them with. They said it had been there for a long time. If I remember right , 90 years. I have a wood chute in a barn on a place I lease. I don't use it any more but have and it was very adequate. It has a wood head catch as well and one whole side squeezes and pins.

OK Guys. Here's the best I could do. Please forgive me for my cattle drawing. Here are a few things to remember. The size wood that I used was because that's what I had laying around. For my posts, I used 6"x6"x10'. I buried them 3' below ground leaving me with a 7' exposure above ground. I spaced them 4' from each other so that I could utilize side boards that were 2"x8"x8'.

Now, when you look through the chute I spaced mine so that the cattle couldn't get turned around, I think I used 29 inches measured from 2x8 to 2x8. Once I had that set I took a round tube gate I had and put it inside the chute. Instead of putting the mounting brackets on the side like you normally would, I mounted them on the bottom so that the gate swings from left to right hinged from the bottom.

When the cattle come through I catch them with the headgate and pull on the chains mounted at the top of the gate towards the opposite side where I latch it to a hook bolt. I have three chains so that I can hold them good. Here are the drawings I originally did. Sorry I don't have actual pics with the cattle in it. Let me know if I thouroughly confused everyone.

Cattle_Chute1.JPG

Cattle_Chute.JPG