homemade cattle trailers/ cattle racks

Help Support CattleToday:

MtnCows93

Reaction score
I thought id start a thread to see if anyone uses homemade bumper pull trailers or cattle racks like you put on the back of a pickup, i like to see pictures if yall have any :pop:

I may be the cheapest person here, but my worst fear is losing an animal out of or through a trailer. Unless you can fabricate and weld well, a homemade cattle trailer sounds like a risky idea. For my first few years, a local rental center would rent a trailer for $60/ day. It was great while it lasted, it may worth some phone calls to local rental businesses or the co-op. May also try the local soil/water office or farm bureau.

I have a rack for my truck and a homemade trailer. The trailer is well built. I'll get a picture up of the rack. It's small for calves sheep pigs and such.

yea craig id like to see that rack, im thinking about building a little 5x8 trailer for if i have just 1 or 2 calves to sell that i could pull with my toyota pickup

Gimme a week, I'll be putting my slide-in rack onto my 20 ft bumper pull trailer and hauling a few to the barn,.. I'll take some pics, don't think I have any handy

old neighbor had a 16' rack you put on a flatbad trailer with a loader. it worked pretty well.

I had a set of 8' slide in racks for the back of the truck I use to fill those up and a trailer with sheep. I think I could keep around 22 head of sheep in the back of the truck alone.

ddd75, I lift the front end of mine with the loader, then back under it.. 6 bolts and it's tied to the deck.. I fit about 18 calves in it or 6-8 cows

No, but I have fond memories of riding in my grandfathers '58 Chevrolet pickup, with a load of calves on the back.

There is another peice that goes across the back but I don't have it with me this week. I too it with a cattle panel cut to fit. I'm thinking about just using my cargo net next time though because this last trip my panel fell in.

Here is what I use and it goes onto my Isuzu truck, the tray is 20' long, the crate is divided in two with a sliding door and a sliding door at the rear half the width. We all have loading ramps here.

Ken

Good rig there Ken... My dad has a similar one that slides into the old 1 ton chevy, the truck isn't roadworthy anymore though so it doesn't get used.. thinking of making it into a calf shelter now.. has a heavy tarp over the top of it too

i like that ken, good setup and then you could use the truck for hauling anything else you want. i always thought an old school bus would work good for hauling cattle but that might be a little too redneck lol

Bottle calves. I have considered making it taller for bigger calves but honestly there no where to load or unload unless they are small enough to pick up. I built a small ramp for the hogs. It looks new cause I keep it stored in the dry

wbvs58":2g4knwey said:
Here is what I use and it goes onto my Isuzu truck, the tray is 20' long, the crate is divided in two with a sliding door and a sliding door at the rear half the width. We all have loading ramps here.

Ken

I don't know if you noticed the sloping steel ramps it is sitting on, I back up, put the pipe across then back up and the ramp lifts the crate off. A lot of people have 4 stands with curved base of varying radius and the top holds the cross pipe so when you back up it lifts the crate up with limiting chains so you don't go too far and then you secure it and drive off. It means you can take it off anywhere. Making up those stands is on my to do list but so far hasn't got to the top.

Ken

Latest posts