Home schooled...be nice

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
A topic was bought up on home schooling a few days ago and got locked down due to some name calling and spitting.

I really had a problem with one issue brought up, but when I typed my response and hit send the topic had been just locked down. So I'll voice my issue and with luck we can get through this without getting it locked down..... maybe not.

The subject was about kids going into kindergarten or 1st grade at a higher reading level or a more advance level due to a self drive or being taught at home. The repsonse from a couple of folks was that the kids further behind would "catch up" with the more advance kids. My opinion and belief; most kids do not "catch up". The more advance (pre-educated) kids fall to the level of the others. My belief and opinion is through experience with my 4 grown kids that went through the public school system, is the kids that need less help get less help. The teachers simply pay more attention to the kids that got no help from home. This is not an uncommon therory, many of the parents we spoke to throughout our kids education felt the same. Our kids would go into kindergarten able to read at a higher level, and by the time they reached second or third grade they were just "one of the pack". It turned out that the more advance kids would finish the assignment well ahead of some others and then be allowed to color or play, just be on their own.... a waste of education time.... and all the efforts of responsible parents go down the drain.

I don't blame teacher as much as I blame the administration, but the teachers due bear some of the responiblity.

JMO, easy now, let's have a conversation, not a path to being locked down.

Alan

Alan":3se2g5r2 said:
I don't blame teacher as much as I blame the administration, but the teachers due bear some of the responiblity.
32 kids in a classroom, 32 levels of ability. 1 teacher.

5 didn't eat breakfast, and are hungry.
7 didn't go to bed on time last night, and they are tired.
10 have unemployed parents talking at the table everynight about how they are going to pay the bills, and they are unsecure.
4 have parents at home fighting. They are scared.
3 are sick but sent because have to work and don't have back up.
1 had a cat die yesterday, and is sad.

1 teacher.

angie":2cqysde7 said:

10 have unemployed parents talking at the table everynight about how they are going to pay the bills, and they are unsecure.

1 teacher.

Good post.

We go to a private school where the parents pay money for their kids to obtain learning in a more like minded environment from the parent stand point.

I have 4 Great Aunts and one Grandmother that were teachers.

They have all passed away and it is sad.

angie":3dbppuy6 said:
Alan":3dbppuy6 said:

Hirer more teachers, quit paying administration so much.

They have school meal programs, no breakfast is neglect from the parent, it's my kids or my problem, report the parent

Send home

While I feel for the parents, the teacher should let the parents know the effect it's having on the child. Again should this effect my kid education?

Report it to the authorities...make the parents wake up and act like adults.

Call the parents at work and get them home, talk to the parents boss, why should one or 3 sick kids get more children sick.

?????? With luck that doesn't happen in the class enough it effects others education.

1 teacher.

So those problems should effect my childs education? As I said I don't blame the teachers as much as the administration. But teachers have our children for a large period of their life during the K through 12 years.... they shouldn't look for excuses. As a parent I always held the instructors and th administration responsible for my childs education, it was a losing battle but I never let up.

Watching "Star Treck, Seach for Spock" to me is not a science class film to see "future laser technology", but that just one experience.

Just a note, I'll be away from the computer most of today, but look forward to a conversation.

Alan

Before my wife gets upset about being late to the airport, the reason for the post is; I believe kids get left behind if they are advanced at home in the public schools....but I stand behind my thought on who is responsible... it also includes parents.

Alan

Alan":2gdhawj1 said:
As I said I don't blame the teachers as much as the administration. But teachers have our children for a large period of their life during the K through 12 years.... they shouldn't look for excuses. As a parent I always held the instructors and th administration responsible for my childs education, it was a losing battle but I never let up.
Alan

How about the parents?

Why should the teacher have to help in that? edit ... Since I can't delete on the board. I see you have answered the parent thing. I think it runs purty deep.

If they didn't have to help raise some kids they might be able to do the job to your satisfaction. Ever notice how some kids in public school migrate from some others in the curriculum? Thankfully the school system is capable of doing things that segregate students into environments that is more equal for the whole concerned.

I agree. The reason the kids level out is that the ones that are ahead typically slow down while the other kids catch up. You said something along the same lines. That makes alot of since because public school teaches a class of kids, its not individual education specialized for each kid. For children to stay ahead of the curve it all goes down to the parents involvement at home. If the parents dont keep involved in their kids education then they would become average as the other kids catch up.

angie":37715wo0 said:
Alan":37715wo0 said:

1 teacher.
This breaks my heart...but was driven home just yesterday. Daughter was having a birthday sleepover and I asked who was able to come..she mentioned one little girl but added "_________'s birthday is in April. Her mom and dad are divorced but her step-dad is really mean so she wants me to go to her house so I can tell her how to talk to him"... I WANTED TO CRY!!! As it turned out this little girl was NOT able to come to my daughter's sleepover and I thought about her the entire time...

angie":3h0bvk1f said:
Alan":3h0bvk1f said:

1 teacher.

If the numbers above reflected the norm then that means that unemployment is at 30% and the poverty level (hunger) is at 15%? Since we know that right now the unemployment level is at about 8% that number should be around 3. The point is well taken though and these numbers may be true in a high poverty area or the inner city but let's not get hung up on these being average statistics.

angie":2uv2degh said:
Alan":2uv2degh said:

1 teacher.

That's pretty close to the actual.

Interesting topic, really makes you think.

Most schools have a gifted program where those kids that are ahead of the curve can keep learning at their ability rather than vegetate in the regular class. Also a remedial program for kids that need extra help to learn. Unless you are in a really small school system, those resources should be available.

You get a new teacher every year, then multiple new teachers every year in high school. Some will be better than others at understanding and working with your kid. Not much you can do about that.

MO_cows":rutzdl43 said:
Interesting topic, really makes you think.

Most schools have a gifted program where those kids that are ahead of the curve can keep learning at their ability rather than vegetate in the regular class. Also a remedial program for kids that need extra help to learn. Unless you are in a really small school system, those resources should be available.

You get a new teacher every year, then multiple new teachers every year in high school. Some will be better than others at understanding and working with your kid. Not much you can do about that.

There is a program in Texas called AVID, (Advencement through individual determination) in which at risk students, students who test well but for whatever reason, don't make the grades, get tutoring and placement in AP classes. It has an overwhelming success rate where it has been used in other schools. I am looking forward to seeing what happens here.

Eighty percent of the kids in Venus Primary are on free or reduced lunches. We are an impoverished district. It has to effect learning.

I am so glad my kids are what I would term ''average''. I am not going to say they are gifted, although everyone thinks they have gifted kids. That's what parents do! But having worked with people with learning disabilities, there are just so many things that can go wrong, I am greatful for what I have.

Be greatful for your kids whatever their abilities. It can always be worse.

Lammie":3or1i6yh said:
Eighty percent of the kids in Venus Primary are on free or reduced lunches. We are an impoverished district. It has to effect learning.

Why does it have to effect learning?

We have similar numbers in Oregon, but much of the reason for the high numbers is Federal funding, Schools get big $$ if they can get a kid on the school lunch program, so we have parents coming forward on many occassion stating they don't need the hand out but the school assigns them one anyway.

I'm always curious to how many of the "truly" needed kids have parents or a parent who smokes or drinks or does drugs.... I'm sure there is a good percent that has money for that cr@p, no I DON'T have a problem with smokers or drinkers, but don't cut your kid short so you can go out and buy a $6 pack of smokes. These type of folks know my tax $$ will take care of their responsibilites.

Before I get jumped on I know there are some folks that are truley in need of some help, just not 80%. :mad:

Alan

HOSS":hq7kvtt8 said:
If the numbers above reflected the norm then that means that unemployment is at 30% and the poverty level (hunger) is at 15%? Since we know that right now the unemployment level is at about 8% that number should be around 3. The point is well taken though and these numbers may be true in a high poverty area or the inner city but let's not get hung up on these being average statistics.
The numbers are absolutely close enough to be valid, but it not about stats ~ its about the baggage small children bring to school with them, how it significantly and negativly affects their ability to learn and how 1 teacher is trying to deal with it with a kick in the ass from Joe Public thinking s/he has all the answers ~ arm chair quarterbacks. And yes, it is your problem Alan ~ Everybody does well, when everybody does well.

I agree there is a huge problem in administration. I agree some teachers should not be teaching, but there are WAY too many fantastic ones out there for me to sit quietly on this one.

I find it interesting that educators trot out the evidence about how preschool & Headstart gives the kids a boost that lasts throughout their school years, but when you talk about kids who are advanced then the educators trot out the old line, "they all even out about 4th grade". :roll:

As far as pullout gifted programs go, I haven't seen anything exciting going on in our school district. It's almost like they use it to give the regular teachers a break. In the third grade, grandson's gifted class measured the dimensions of their room. This fall, in fourth, they read a book many kids read in jr high, but he and a buddy read it last year. It's not designed to advance these kids, just to occupy their time.

I'm sure every school is different. We do home school after they get home from public school. We go over their homework with them. Teach them when we can but often times have to teach ourselves to keep up. I think its my job as a parent to be sure they are learning and doing their work. I want to know what they are doing and what they are being taught. Without this interest, I would have never learned that one of my children's teachers told the class that we never went to the moon. It was just a white man's political game to show up the Russians and the whole thing was filmed in Hollywood. :shock:

Jogeephus":203ydf9w said:
It was just a white man's political game to show up the Russians and the whole thing was filmed in Hollywood. :shock:

This went over my head but let's try to avoid a lock down.... and yes I know about the hollywood claim to the moon landing.

Alan

Alan":g0edof1l said:
Jogeephus":g0edof1l said:
It was just a white man's political game to show up the Russians and the whole thing was filmed in Hollywood. :shock:

This went over my head but let's try to avoid a lock down.... and yes I know about the hollywood claim to the moon landing.

Alan

Not trying to get it locked down just trying to make a point. I think we as parents should know what our children are learning and what is being taught. Had we not been interested in this then we would not have learned this fact. It turned out to be good in the long run cause we were able to teach our son that racism goes both ways. But getting off the R word, how many parents do you think take time to spend with their children? If this was done, would it not make it easier on the teachers? I view educator's as people who are hired to help us teach our children. But at the same time, just because a teacher has a captive audience and a position of respect doesn't mean this person is without question.

Latest posts