Home raised Angus bull.

Help Support CattleToday:

Thank you for the kind words everyone, I will let the bull know that the cattle today consensus so far is that he is a nice bull. :) Mrvictordomino, those are my pics, I will let Jocelyn know you like her photography. Hope all is well with you, nice to hear from you.

Regarding the dogs the are slick hair border collies, bred as cow dogs, they have some grit, some days maybe to much, but I guy can dial them down, it is hard to dial one up that doesn't have it in it's natural makeup. They are only good for working sheep under strict supervision. The old bitch is from Wyoming, sired by a Juan Reyes (MR Angus Ranch) stud named Weasel, and the young pup working with Trixie is one of her daughters by a line bred McCallum dog we own.

That is a good looking bull and I'm glad to see it because a few of my best registered angus cows are carrying beckton calves this year for some home-made bulls. Maybe I can show my dogs and cows your pictures and tell them,"see, this is kind of what I had in mind". :D

I showed my dogs those photos and they gave me a you must be insane look and went back to sleep. Great cattle, my wife is partial to the one's that look like they have bowl haircuts.

Alan":3skuteha said:
I always enjoy your pics! Great looking bull. I remember a couple years back you posted pics of your dogs bringing the herd, from some distance away, to you and they had to cross some deep water to get there. Always very nice pics!

Thanks for posting again,
Alan

You are welcome Alan! Glad you enjoy the pics. :tiphat:

You motivated me to share some dog and cattle photos. Our dogs are Fila Brasileiro dogs from ranches in Minas Gerais and Goias in Brazil. They will adopt a calf and protect a herd better during calving season. Friend of mine who runs a dairy in Brazil uses them to babysit the calves. They will lick both ends. :lol:
photo_24.jpg

This is my old female who died last March. At the vet her folder said JW's Good Wife. Nearly killed me when she passed.
HL_20140621071441.jpg

fila_brasileiro.jpg

JWBrahman":36f54tfe said:
You motivated me to share some dog and cattle photos. Our dogs are Fila Brasileiro dogs from ranches in Minas Gerais and Goias in Brazil. They will adopt a calf and protect a herd better during calving season. Friend of mine who runs a dairy in Brazil uses them to babysit the calves. They will lick both ends. :lol:
photo_24.jpg

This is my old female who died last March. At the vet her folder said JW's Good Wife. Nearly killed me when she passed.
HL_20140621071441.jpg

fila_brasileiro.jpg

Awesome pics! Great dogs! I have never heard of them. Thank you for being inspired to share.

Here is a pic of one of our LGD,s that are bonded to our sheep.

The female dog breathing the same air as the calf gets me. I had a Jack Russell male that wanted to sleep with me like that. He would put his nose next to mine as if he wanted to breathe the same air. He was a very special dog to me.

Very nice bull. Hard to find that type when shopping for a bull. At least in this area.

elkwc":2gjyr81b said:
Very nice bull. Hard to find that type when shopping for a bull. At least in this area.

Thank you. He has matured nicely. I raise them slow and steady. I don't use them to breed until they are two and usually as two year olds mine weigh what some yearlings weigh that are pushed. But they do grow up and mature and they have very good breeding longevity. The spring daylight hours and green grass has gotten the testosterone going in these bulls now and all their masculinity is shining through. What area are you in?

I currently live in extreme SW KS. Plan on moving to west central OK soon. Helping manage a herd in that area. We purchased one bull in late Feb. Been doing a lot of looking so I will have a better idea of what is available and what direction we want to go when we buy the next one. I have mixed views about some of the bulls by the current hot Angus AI sires. We may go with a low BW Hereford bull next.

I meant to comment on your dogs. I have had Border Collies in the past. Didn't have enough work so haven't had in several years. Thinking about getting one when I move. I have seen some good ones work. The best two were dogs owned by Ben Means of MO and LR Alexander of MO. I had a very nice aggressive female who a horse kicked and broke her pelvis. Will keep the information you provided about yours available for when I start looking. Do you sell any pups?

elkwc":15oxbzpx said:
I currently live in extreme SW KS. Plan on moving to west central OK soon. Helping manage a herd in that area. We purchased one bull in late Feb. Been doing a lot of looking so I will have a better idea of what is available and what direction we want to go when we buy the next one. I have mixed views about some of the bulls by the current hot Angus AI sires. We may go with a low BW Hereford bull next.

I meant to comment on your dogs. I have had Border Collies in the past. Didn't have enough work so haven't had in several years. Thinking about getting one when I move. I have seen some good ones work. The best two were dogs owned by Ben Means of MO and LR Alexander of MO. I had a very nice aggressive female who a horse kicked and broke her pelvis. Will keep the information you provided about yours available for when I start looking. Do you sell any pups?

I only raise for my own replacement so sell very few pups. Best of luck with your bull hunt.

Latest posts