Home made butter

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep":zjtwvbew said:
Oh, I forgot, you were the big milk drinkers! I should revise what I said earlier.. you really should have a milk cow... At our place we go through about a gallon a week. There are some small milking machines available, if you want to go that route.

If I did go the route and got a jersey cow do you have to pastuerize the milk before drinking or would you recommend it?

skyhightree1":179q2ae3 said:
Nesikep":179q2ae3 said:
Oh, I forgot, you were the big milk drinkers! I should revise what I said earlier.. you really should have a milk cow... At our place we go through about a gallon a week. There are some small milking machines available, if you want to go that route.

If I did go the route and got a jersey cow do you have to pastuerize the milk before drinking or would you recommend it?
Don't do anything to it. He// it's already half rotten anyway.

skyhightree1":myl19q34 said:
TexasBred":myl19q34 said:
Here you go Sky. We have about 3 of those hand crank models. One only will do about a pint at a time. The other two probably hold a quart. You can make it in small batches anyway.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... o90q6ky4_b

Thanks tb those boogers are expensive a electric one cost enough that i could buy butter for the rest of my lifetime.. GEEEEEZ

Mom use a stand mixer and a mixing bowl.....not to fast or you get wiped cream.

Don't pasteurize!... Keep the milk clean and you'll be fine... Us farmers probably are probably a little more tolerant than the pastey-faces in the city that need hand sanitizer at every freaking corner.

Friend of mine has a Dexter/Jersey cross.. She gets her temper from both sides!..
Even a 3 teat Holstien would probably do you fine, she'd be cheap too... and she'd raise a calf too... Well at least if you ever had an orphan you would't need to get milk replacer for it. The holstein is a much calmer cow in my experience, I guess they do eat a bit more though.

If you want lots of cream, they're going to need grain, if you're not after large amounts of cream, they'll do fine on decent pasture and hay

thanks yea the churn way is a beast I life food processor and mixer idea lol i remember drinking un pastuerized milk as a kid totally different than pastuerized.

I use a blender to make my butter. LOVE the buttermilk. Yeah it takes awhile to wash the butter but it is worth it.
Have one of the jar and paddle butter maker. Check the wood paddle carefully, if it smells rancid do not use it. It will make the butter taste rancid too. FIL told me that when I wanted to use the old paddle churn. It smelled rancid.
Not sure if you can sand it to get rid of it or not, he never said if we could.

I used to be able to drink raw milk but it started to bother my stomach so now I pasteurize my milk.

TexasBred":3i9cu5ow said:
Ok Sky how about an update. Did you ever get any buttermilk churned and butter pressed??

TB not yet I am in the process of getting in touch with a person that does milk shares and then I plan on trying to get some from him and getting busy with it.

Nesikep":bshlk2gx said:
I guess you could do that... it'll take a lot of milking to get a quart of cream though... beef cows aren't bred for making lots of cream.. When we had a guernsey we used to make butter by shaking a gallon jar... you were tired by the end of it, but we did it for a couple years and never did have a real butter churn.
2 years is a long time to wait for a little butter and I think my arms would fall off from shaking a gallon jug for 24 months....

Latest posts