Home Insurance

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy

Reaction score
Got my letter last Friday. My homeowners insurance is being dropped. Seems after ripping me off for the last two years, they got some of their money back and are high tailing it out of Dodge.

They seem to think it's too risky with the hurricanes down here. I have had auto with them since I was 16. I called them yesterday and told them if they can't insure my home they insure my cars either.

I sent emails out yesterday to many of my state reps and congressmen about it. I am sure I am one of thousands. Many folks down here now are risking no insurance at all due to this and skyrocketing rates.

I told the reps that I felt if an insurance company that does this
then they should not be allowed to sell auto insurance in the state either.

At least I felt better after sending out those emails.

Flaboy, The hurricanes are bad. Folks talk about not wanting to live south of I-10 because the insurance rates are terrible. I remember surviving Hurricane Karla and the devastation when I was a kid. I was living in Alaska in '64 when the earthquake hit on Good Friday. Now I live in tornado alley and I have seen plenty of that stuff too. I was in Paris, TX when it was hit in the early 80's.

The worse overall devastation by far came in '05. Wildfire. I saw farms completely taken. Many of them. More fire trucks, dozers, and water planes than you can imagine. Houses, barns, all trees, tractors, equipment, even cattle burned to death. Everything gone. If those folks had wooden fence posts, they were gone too. The only thing left was burnt out tractors sitting on rims, metal rubble, and dead tree trunks. Those folks lost everything - literally.

Insurance companies will scream about anything to raise your rates. You have to pay it or live in fear of losing your backside. They now have the seat blet laws passed and it was suppose to lower rates. Did anyone's rates go down? You can ride in the back of a 1 ton truck and it is legal. If you crawl into the cab and don't put on a seat belt, it'll cost you $200, thanks to the insurance companies.

I hope the emails you sent do you some good.

flaboy-

i am in the same boat as you. i think until the insurance here crashes we will never see real improvement. fl property values will continue to decrease until we fixed insurance and real estate taxes. florida went from cheap and just wrong.

Yeah, I lost the roof to the hurricanes in 04 and some other minor damage. I was told if I did the metal roof thing chances of getting dropped were slim. Well I spent my vacation time that year putting the metal roof on but it didn't do any good.

Problem is, if you can find someone willing to insure your home they want your left thumb and right testicle. :shock:

MistyMorning":3fxkduox said:
When you say homeowners insurance does that mean all of your farm stuff and livestock too?

Well, little miss nosey. :lol: I have two places. One is the farm inland and in another county. Insurance for it is ok. My home is the one they are dropping when it comes due again.

Home owner's insurance is a rip off anymore. The only way you can afford it is to have some sky high deductable. I couldn't get Allstate to insure my place cause it was too old and too far out. I had insurance with them for over 20 years. Made 1 claim all that time. We won't even talk about Farm Bureau. I really liked my original agent but then he left and some scheister took his place.

flaboy":1449x0wy said:
Well, little miss nosey..

I wasn't trying to be nosey you dork :roll: I was trying to be empathetic(look it up). I was really worried about your cattle :D

MistyMorning":33u81h7w said:
flaboy":33u81h7w said:
Well, little miss nosey..

I wasn't trying to be nosey you dork :roll: I was trying to be empathetic(look it up). I was really worried about your cattle :D

No wonder I couldn't find it in the dictionary dufus, you spelled it wrong. It is spelled him-pathetic. And yes I knew you were. :lol:

Lammie":246cfr06 said:
Home owner's insurance is a rip off anymore. The only way you can afford it is to have some sky high deductable. I couldn't get Allstate to insure my place cause it was too old and too far out. I had insurance with them for over 20 years. Made 1 claim all that time. We won't even talk about Farm Bureau. I really liked my original agent but then he left and some scheister took his place.

So, you don't have any insurance on your place now? I was thinking about it. Only thing that scares me is FIRE!

Yes, I have insurance now. I have Allstate again, but I am paying out the nose. And yes, if I lived in Florida I would worry about fires, too. Especially with the drought and all the lightening you get around there. It is really hard to find insurance around here if you are rural. Like I said, I had Farm Bureau and it was good and then I got Agent Turd Furgeson.

Lammie":1igfrc2d said:
then I got Agent Turd Furgeson.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

As long as I was with this outfit, I never met my agent. I met many of his folks in the office but never laid eyes on him.

flaboy":2kabdau0 said:
Lammie":2kabdau0 said:
then I got Agent Turd Furgeson.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

As long as I was with this outfit, I never met my agent. I met many of his folks in the office but never laid eyes on him.

I am sure that I had several agents between the one I liked and Turd. Just Turd showed up at the house when I remarried to talk about life insurance. Steve says he flirted madly with me, too, but I didn't notice. He was newly divorced, and pretty pathetic. We wanted to fix him up with someone, but then I started to intensely dislike him. Kept charging me twice each month. Paid with the mortgage and I kept getting bills in the mail. Could never make him understand.

Got hit by a ding dong that thought making a U-turn and running a stop sign was alright. Now his insurance company wants to toal my '71 Chevy Nova. I don't nice think so. I just bought over $600.00 worth of new parts to start restoring it. Have to start fighting with them next week, again.

I luv herfrds":18h7ljgr said:
Got hit by a ding dong that thought making a U-turn and running a stop sign was alright. Now his insurance company wants to toal my '71 Chevy Nova. I don't nice think so. I just bought over $600.00 worth of new parts to start restoring it. Have to start fighting with them next week, again.

What are those worth these days? What kind of engine and all that? Hobby mechanics want to know!

backhoeboogie":33kbqstb said:
. . . I remember surviving Hurricane Karla and the devastation when I was a kid. I was living in Alaska in '64 when the earthquake hit on Good Friday. Now I live in tornado alley and I have seen plenty of that stuff too. I was in Paris, TX when it was hit in the early 80's.

The worse overall devastation by far came in '05. Wildfire. I saw farms completely taken. Many of them. . . .

Please don't move to middle Tennessee. ;-) :)

Well Lammie before the accident I was offered $4000.00 for it as is. It has a rebuilt original 307 in it and I get 23 mpg on the highway at 75 mph. It is a four door.
Got it for $150.00 out of a junk yard not running and no rims or tires. Put around $700.00 in the motor and it "floats" on the roads.
Restoration was a planned 4 year deal.

Tried to get the hubby to put an oldtime Hemi in it, but he said it would be too heavy. 302 EFI? ;-)
Rotten man.