Home Depot

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Home depot is horrible atleast the ones near me. I prefer lowes. I went into home depot to buy tin for my shed roof that blew off NO CARTS they told me oh we keep the carts outside you gotta bring them in when you come maybe i been spoiled by lowes or im just an A.. H... but i said is your store manager in he said yes took me to him and I told him if I come in there to buy something I don't think I should have to walk 100 yds to get a freakin cart he said we decided to keep them there cause its easier for us to utilize forklifts and stuck. I said I do a ton of business with lowes and they keep theirs inside and the employees are not like yours when i asked hd employees for something they seem irritated that I asked them a question I told him lowes employees may not like their job but you would never know it he offered to go get me a card and load what i needed and i said no thanks i will drive the extra 15 mins to get to lowes and buy from them. I took my receipt back for the 930 bucks i spent in lowes to show him what he lost out on. I know they dont care but it made me feel better.

I am happy our Home Depot isn't like that. Ours about takes your hand and walks you to what you are looking for and will even help you load if you pull up under the awning. Our Lowes prefers if you speak spanish and most employees make theirself scarce.

Wow... I have never had any issues with Lowes they even give military discount and i dont think HD discounts anything.

presmudjo":28edoxf4 said:
I am happy our Home Depot isn't like that. Ours about takes your hand and walks you to what you are looking for and will even help you load if you pull up under the awning. Our Lowes prefers if you speak spanish and most employees make theirself scarce.

Same way here.

skyhightree1":1kd1nhfw said:
Wow... I have never had any issues with Lowes they even give military discount and i dont think HD discounts anything.
If you knew how much margin they are making off of you. your military discount is only to get you to come back and make you think you got a deal. While I will shop there on occasion for specific items . I will drive further to shop at a locally owned business that appreciates you as a customer.

I only have a Lowe's near me so I don't have a choice. When I lived in Chattanooga I preferred HD over Lowes (they were basically side by side). I could never find anything in Lowes, HD I could walk in blind folded and find it. I would much prefer ace or co-op when I can.

M5farm":3ganbt8n said:
skyhightree1":3ganbt8n said:
If you knew how much margin they are making off of you. your military discount is only to get you to come back and make you think you got a deal. While I will shop there on occasion for specific items . I will drive further to shop at a locally owned business that appreciates you as a customer.

I agree with you m5 problem around here is all the locally owned stores have went out of business for the most part. My farm supply store just got a tractor supply right around the corner and its hurting him on everything except fertilizer lime and row crop seeds.

Wow, that's crazy. Somebody doesn't understand principles of customer service very well. I'm surprised there is such a difference, here Home Depot has always been more helpful. I figured lowe's competed by not spending much on employee's or training. I can't find a soul when I need them in Lowe's but Home Depot employees here seem to ask if I need help about every time I'm in there- maybe they mistake ugly for confused?

skyhightree1":2kfg4lku said:
M5farm":2kfg4lku said:
skyhightree1":2kfg4lku said:

I agree with you m5 problem around here is all the locally owned stores have went out of business for the most part. My farm supply store just got a tractor supply right around the corner and its hurting him on everything except fertilizer lime and row crop seeds.
Because people started shopping at the chain stores. I do shop tractor supply for some stuff but I buy 99% of mineral and feed from a small local place.

skyhightree1":1t7qrp7f said:
Home Depot and Lowes in my area give the military discount of 10%. Lowes requires them contacting the manager for approval but Home Depot has the bar code right at the register for the discount and doesnt require a manager.

rla442":3dlxjy22 said:
skyhightree1":3dlxjy22 said:
Home Depot and Lowes in my area give the military discount of 10%. Lowes requires them contacting the manager for approval but Home Depot has the bar code right at the register for the discount and doesnt require a manager.

Lowes here has it same way home depot doesnt offer it

I tell you what lowes wood here is way superior than what our home depot has here that home depot stuff is all curled up like it didnt dry correctly. I mostly buy lumber from a local family owned business but their hours are like 7-3 and if i need additional lumber i go to lowes.

Home Depot= Contractor i.e. "me"
Lowes= DIYer homeowner

The closest home depot or lowes is 40 mins away from me. The local true value lumber yard is 5 min. I would rather drive 40 min. They local place knows they have you by the ballz so they over charge anywhere from 25-100% more on everything. Also they dont open til 8 and close at 430 which contractor wise doesnt work.

One of our local lumber yards can bet Home Depot or Lowes every time on wood and Hardy board. I like Home Depot the best myself. But I bought 600 - 6' T post from Lowes and a pallet of barb-wire in 2010. And now Lowes can't beat Tractor Supply, I give our local people first shot on everything we buy and if their within $20-$30 I buy from them.

shadyhollownj":2y8vt38j said:
Home Depot= Contractor i.e. "me"
Lowes= DIYer homeowner

The closest home depot or lowes is 40 mins away from me. The local true value lumber yard is 5 min. I would rather drive 40 min. They local place knows they have you by the ballz so they over charge anywhere from 25-100% more on everything. Also they dont open til 8 and close at 430 which contractor wise doesnt work.

Ditto...
I'll deal with HD over Lowes most any day. They are my supplier of choice 80% of the time. However, I deal almost exclusively with the ProDesk. They know me and will bend over backwards to take care of anything I might need. I had a project at the south end of Denver last summer. My local store volunteered to deliver the materials to the jobsite, about 80 miles away, at no additional cost. It saved me hours of extra work that it would have taken to get the order put together down there.

A bad store manager at HD is the exception, but it's the norm at Lowes. My experiences with most of their stores is about as pleasant as a root canal, especially if there's a special order involved. Of the 3 in this area, only one is worth dealing with, but it's a lot further from me and most of our work.
The only thing they do better than HD is parking. It's easier to park with a trailer, but that's generally because there's nobody else in the store.

funny right after I posted this the HD customer care person called me from corporate to let me know they addressed this issue with the store manager and building materials employees and if I wanted them too they would have the store manager call me and speak with me. I am surprised cause I just fired off that email this am I gotta say im shocked they didnt take a few days to contact me.

"Customer Care" is HD's equivalent to a PD's "internal affairs".
They're quick to respond and heads will frequently role at the store level even when it's the customer in the wrong, not the store
You generally will only need to mention contacting them and the store employees will jump.

Like I said, a bad manager is the exception, but it does sound like you have one of the not very good ones.
It's not a bad thing to let HD know about recurring service problems. Try the store manager 1st, if the problems continue, move up the chain of command. They'll eventually get rid of the manager if there are ongoing service problems

Latest posts