Home Depot

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
Home Depot announced Thursday that it will donate $50 million to train 20,000 people as construction workers over the next decade, helping efforts to ease a dire shortage that's curtailing home building and driving up house prices.

The Home Builders Institute, the industry's education arm, will use the money from the Home Depot Foundation to train veterans and U.S. Army soldiers who will soon be returning to civilian life, high school students and disadvantaged youth.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... 403659002/

I know some 30-40 yr old folks from other sites on the internet, that the 1st thing they need to learn is how to use a dang square and a level. Maybe HBI can help them too.
$50 million is a pretty good chunk of change to focus on construction training, as long as it is used wisely and effectively.

greybeard":1a6fk7xt said:
I know some 30-40 yr old folks from other sites on the internet, that the 1st thing they need to learn is how to use a dang square and a level. Maybe HBI can help them too.
$50 million is a pretty good chunk of change to focus on construction training, as long as it is used wisely and effectively.
grunt workers are getting scarce as hens teeth,,not many of the younger gen.. Taking up where the older ones are retiring from..I think what was said years ago when the older folks said """I don't want my kids having too work as hard as I did"""was taken to heart..

ALACOWMAN":3tf5dtod said:
greybeard":3tf5dtod said:
grunt workers are getting scarce as hens teeth,,not many of the younger gen.. Taking up where the older ones are retiring from..I think what was said years ago when the older folks said """I don't want my kids having too work as hard as I did"""was taken to heart..
We are in the process of remodeling a home. Tried several contractors in the area. Some showed up and never came back. Finally one showed and we agreed to do the work. I live about 100 miles from Dallas. Concrete Mexican workers. Framing Mexican crew. Painting Mexican crew. Electricians Mexican crew. Plumbing a local crew. All of the Mexican crews came from Dallas each day. They all pretty well knew how to do the jobs required of them.

hurleyjd":2dqlaa07 said:
ALACOWMAN":2dqlaa07 said:
greybeard":2dqlaa07 said:
We are in the process of remodeling a home. Tried several contractors in the area. Some showed up and never came back. Finally one showed and we agreed to do the work. I live about 100 miles from Dallas. Concrete Mexican workers. Framing Mexican crew. Painting Mexican crew. Electricians Mexican crew. Plumbing a local crew. All of the Mexican crews came from Dallas each day. They all pretty well knew how to do the jobs required of them.
and they work like fire ants when their doing it.. No wonder they eat like there's no tomorrow..when they break to lunch they pile it on..take a siesta..then right back at it..

ALACOWMAN":3m0ufk4b said:
hurleyjd":3m0ufk4b said:
ALACOWMAN":3m0ufk4b said:
and they work like fire ants when their doing it.. No wonder they eat like there's no tomorrow..when they break to lunch they pile it on..take a siesta..then right back at it..

They take pride in their work and you'll never have to go looking for them when their break is over.

hurleyjd":1shadf77 said:
ALACOWMAN":1shadf77 said:
greybeard":1shadf77 said:

I hung 8 sheets of sheetrock overhead on my remodel. I haven't done that in several years. I got a bid and decided to let them run with it. In the end all I did was spray paint and composite flooring. A little trim.

Several years ago they were doing a church build. I showed up with compressors, nail guns, saws, and all the gear. They were using a speed square to mark boards and then trying to cut on that line with a skillsaw. Couldn't believe these old timers had actually built churches. I decided to leave early afternoon. Two days later that whole structure fell. It is one of those times you wish you didn't have to say, "I told you so" but they needed bracing. Those old retirees told some stories about other builds they had done. I guess they just got lucky. I hate stick framing - with a passion. Better off to put braces on and not need them

can't even find someone to paint a wall right around here.. let alone do something else.

you can thank.. "WE GOTTA SEND THEM TO COLLEGE" message of the school systems for this..
They portray 'trades' as low class, poor people jobs.

backhoeboogie":2mgnzhub said:
They were using a speed square to mark boards and then trying to cut on that line with a skillsaw.

Wow, I know I haven't been around a framing crew in a while but I had no idea that squares and skillsaws were for "Old Timers". They just use sliding miter saws now?

We still use speed squares and framing squares, I think it's a good thing that home depot is putting money back in the construction trades for training, this is a industry that needs it.

ddd75":q5ibodhj said:
can't even find someone to paint a wall right around here.. let alone do something else.

you can thank.. "WE GOTTA SEND THEM TO COLLEGE" message of the school systems for this..
The majority of kids leaving high need to be ready to go to work right after they leave, but yet hardly any are.
All through high school in the regular core class, all I ever heard was "you need to know this for college". Only in the shop, and ag classes did I learn what I need to know for life.
It's no wonder I only had c's and b's in core classes, and straight a's in shop, and ag.

ChrisB":37xcf0qc said:
backhoeboogie":37xcf0qc said:
They were using a speed square to mark boards and then trying to cut on that line with a skillsaw.

Wow, I know I haven't been around a framing crew in a while but I had no idea that squares and skillsaws were for "Old Timers". They just use sliding miter saws now?

I wondered about that too. I've done a lot of framing with a speed square and a Skil saw. As far as I know none of it has fallen down.

We have schools to learn to cut hair, put on make-up and cook.
I don't see why anyone would raise a eyebrow to a school on construction.

Edit to add.. anyone that knowingly hires wetbacks is a cheat and a criminal.

ChrisB":2wpyto0y said:
backhoeboogie":2wpyto0y said:

You don't mark a square line with a speed square. You run the saw edge against the square blade to get a perfect square cut board. These guys were marking with the speed square the then putting it down. They obviously had never been taught how to cut square boards using a speed square.

sim.-ang.king":35382v43 said:
ddd75":35382v43 said:

The majority of kids leaving high need to be ready to go to work right after they leave, but yet hardly any are.
All through high school in the regular core class, all I ever heard was "you need to know this for college". Only in the shop, and ag classes did I learn what I need to know for life.
It's no wonder I only had c's and b's in core classes, and straight a's in shop, and ag.

In my last semester in high school, I was spending most of the time working on the farm.. Got an A in calculus, got a D in shop.. With all the potheads, the teacher basically marked on attendance so I was screwed.. Years later I run into him once in a while, he said if he'd known all the work I did on the farm he'd have credited me for it.. Oh well, not like it mattered anyhow.