• don't eat/use either

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • can't have one without the other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ellie May

Reaction score
Howdy,
First of all no offense to Holstien breeders, but why are they so popular? Like on TV in the commercials. Gateway computers & Chik Fila? Heck Holstiens aren't even a meat breed. Now everybody I know-that don't know much about cattle think that cows only come in black & white. If I'm wrong I'll shut up.
Ellie May

I think perhaps you answered your own question - people that don't know about the various breeds of cattle can easily recognize the black and white image of a holstien. To most advertisers the easily recognized image is easy for the consumer to remember. The companies using the image do not advertise for meat or milk, they are just going for company logo recognition. And I dare say that if you were in on the secret meetings of the ad agencies you might also find that the black and white cows are "politically correct" in the colors they choose, thus not offending anyone!

I think a lot of that started with the "got milk" and CA cheese commercials. Never thought of a cow as being PC, I alwasy viewed them as being politicaly neutral.

dun

jw":264dl2ad said:
I think perhaps you answered your own question - people that don't know about the various breeds of cattle can easily recognize the black and white image of a holstien. To most advertisers the easily recognized image is easy for the consumer to remember. The companies using the image do not advertise for meat or milk, they are just going for company logo recognition. And I dare say that if you were in on the secret meetings of the ad agencies you might also find that the black and white cows are "politically correct" in the colors they choose, thus not offending anyone!

I agree with JW, people that dont know much about cattle will recognize the black and white of the Holstein. The same gos for a lot of other animals such as pigs,not everyone knows of all the different colors and breeds of swine,such as duroc or hampshire but Yorkshires and all the other White or pink pigs are even more recognizable. Look at Porky the Pig or Babe. When you think of a Cow you think of milk, when you think of milk you think of dairy, when you think of dairy you think of Holstein and you recognize the black and white.

You mean to tell me that isn't it?

dun

D.R. Cattle":2uhynwu5 said:
Talking about what people think...you'd be surprised at how many think a cow is a bull because it has horns.

D.R. Cattle":107offs8 said:
Talking about what people think...you'd be surprised at how many think a cow is a bull because it has horns.

funny you say that because it was just a couple of weeks ago i had a guy tell me that same thing. he had seen a cow w/horns & told someone they better watch out for that bull.

He must think Angus reproduce like worms. Self fertilizing.

dun

txag":pjagnghj said:
D.R. Cattle":pjagnghj said:

funny you say that because it was just a couple of weeks ago i had a guy tell me that same thing. he had seen a cow w/horns & told someone they better watch out for that bull.

Couple weeks ago one of the neighbors called and said there was a bull in her yard. I went to check it out and what I found was a funky looking heifer in the middle of the road with horns. Not knowing what else to do, I opened my gates and let her in. I spent a week trying to find the owner to no avail. I'm the proud owner of the blasted mutt now. I penned her with the rest the herd Monday so I could cull her and she jumped out of the crowding area and then over the sidewall of the pens. Starting to look like time for the Weatherby Mag. to bark, but I'm not to keen on eating the rangy bag either.

D.R. Cattle":1mragca4 said:
Couple weeks ago one of the neighbors called and said there was a bull in her yard. I went to check it out and what I found was a funky looking heifer in the middle of the road with horns. Not knowing what else to do, I opened my gates and let her in. I spent a week trying to find the owner to no avail. I'm the proud owner of the blasted mutt now. I penned her with the rest the herd Monday so I could cull her and she jumped out of the crowding area and then over the sidewall of the pens. Starting to look like time for the Weatherby Mag. to bark, but I'm not to keen on eating the rangy bag either.

she kind of sounds like what the folks did w/emus around here after the bust. just kind of turned them loose to wander the ditches for anyone who wanted to claim.

Speaking on the subject- I hear different ideas on slaughtering your own. The heifer doesn't look like much, doesn't look like she's ever calved. She weighs about 850-900, kinda lanky but BCS is probably 4-5. Rangy looking devil but doesn't look too old. I wonder if she'd be any good in the freezer? I haven't ever slaughtered one of my own, just sold them. What you think?

That's what the meat grinder was invented for.

dun

D.R. Cattle":e99mmm07 said:
Speaking on the subject- I hear different ideas on slaughtering your own. The heifer doesn't look like much, doesn't look like she's ever calved. She weighs about 850-900, kinda lanky but BCS is probably 4-5. Rangy looking devil but doesn't look too old. I wonder if she'd be any good in the freezer? I haven't ever slaughtered one of my own, just sold them. What you think?

Speaking of slaughtering your own. We have never done that either. We've always sold or traded. We have a beautiful bull that has produced alot & I mean alot of beautifully built calves. But he is limping around all he does is eat & lie down. My dad wants to sell him. I wanna slaughter him for his skull & hide. I don't think his meat would be to good on a count he is an older bull. Anybody up for suggetions?
Ellie May

think you could buy a better skull and a nicer hide with part of the money you will get for the bull and if you decide to slaughter him you could use the meat for beef jerky or dry meat and still use his hide and skull
Ellie May":us35euo2 said:
Speaking of slaughtering your own. We have never done that either. We've always sold or traded. We have a beautiful bull that has produced alot & I mean alot of beautifully built calves. But he is limping around all he does is eat & lie down. My dad wants to sell him. I wanna slaughter him for his skull & hide. I don't think his meat would be to good on a count he is an older bull. Anybody up for suggetions?
Ellie May

Yeah that's what my dad says he wants the money out of him. But he was such a good bull & he has such a pretty hide & huge skull. Maybe the beef jerky idea is a good???
Ellie May

You could always slaughter him on the farm, keep the head & hide and invite about 500 of your best friends over for a beer and burger party!

If you finish them like you would a steer, it will be a little chewey but not real tough. But the flavor is great, it actually tastes like beef instead of yearling.

dun

Latest posts