holsteins

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Does anyone know of a feedlot that feeds out holsteins, and if they do, do they have retained ownership? Any info would be appreciated.

Check out Agri Beef out of Boise. I was at their El Oro feedlot in Moses Lake a couple of years ago and they were saying that they fed holsteins at one of their other yards in the area. I know a lot of their business is retained ownership.

Dave

There are thousands upon thousands of holstein steers finished in feedlots every year -- what do you think happens to all those bull calves that are born on the dairies? In this area, only a fraction of those calves go for veal.
There is a good market for finished holsteins in certain areas, but it's only worthwhile if you have the resources to handle large numbers of them at a time.

Ann B

Ellie May":1xv9q9hb said:
Holstiens aren't much on beef. My question is why would you want to put them on a feed lot.
Ellie May

As stated there are hundreds of thousands of holstein steers and free martin heifers raised for beef in feedlots every year in this country. At my local sale barn good holstein steers will consistantly sell for more than longhorns, pinz, and braham steers of the same size. Real good ones will even beat straight bred limo steers at times. It is the same buyers buying these steers year in and year out so they must be making money on them.

Dave

Oh ok. Well I'm not saying I'm against dairy, cause I do my share of eating ice cream. I was just wondering. Thanx Mrs. Bledsoe, your always so informative.
Thanx,
Ellie May

Arnold":2f5aoujw said:
Whoops, screwed that up...try again! What is retained ownership?
Retained ownership is the owner of the cattle retains ownership of the cattle once they go into the feedlot. They would be custom fed for the owner. The feedlot would not own the cattle.

la4angus":2cr0osi3 said:
Arnold":2cr0osi3 said:
Whoops, screwed that up...try again! What is retained ownership?
Retained ownership is the owner of the cattle retains ownership of the cattle once they go into the feedlot. They would be custom fed for the owner. The feedlot would not own the cattle.
So what would be in it for the feedlot? I guess they could charge the owner for raising them? sort of a cost plus thing.

Around here (SE Nebraska) feedlots have 2 methods of charging -- so much per lb of gain, or a flat rate per day.

Ann B

la4angus":3parzsrn said:
Anonymous":3parzsrn said:
la4angus":3parzsrn said:
must be tough to make a buck paying for feeding and the service
Would you expect the feed yard to do it for free? Helloooo :roll: :roll:

Hi Ellie

It's just one of those things that a lot of people just don't think about, unless they're right there in the middle of the area where it's done!
I can drive 200 miles and be in an area where raising dairy beef is considered a joke - and a milk cow is a real novelty.
But here where we have so many diaries (2 within 4 miles of me, 10 within 15 miles), raising those steers is a very viable business.
At the salebarn here a newborn Holstein bull calf will bring a lot more than a newborn beef calf! I can buy newborn beef calves for $50-$150, while those Holstein bulls start at $200.
Personally though, I'm not equipped to raise the numbers that are necessary to turn a reasonable profit on them, so I leave the Holsteins alone.

Ann B

Ellie May":h6wxsn6q said:
Oh ok. Well I'm not saying I'm against dairy, cause I do my share of eating ice cream. I was just wondering. Thanx Mrs. Bledsoe, your always so informative.
Thanx,
Ellie May

As Roy said, depends on where you're at.
Right here in Eastern Nebraska, Hostein bucket/bottle steer calves will outsell beef calves any day of the week!
But out there in sandhills, you can't hardly give them away.
I make a pretty good profit by buying Holstein calves from people in the Sandhills and bringing them back here and running them through the salebarn -- in some cases tripling my money in 3 days, and that's after gas and feed.

Ann B

BLACKPOWER":2gbsvhre said:
Roy E. Mosley Jr.":2gbsvhre said:
Yep it all depends on where u at and what people want!!!!!!

Ya the demand for bucket fed holstein steer calves is through the roof. Riiight.

Latest posts