holsteins

Help Support CattleToday:

350 mamas @ 400$ apiece at a herd dispesal. The guy was going bankrupt. Hauled 50 to 90 a day 5 days a week. Brought 25 to 50 dollars apiece. Say an average of 60 calves a day for 3 months (60 days) @ 40$ apiece = 60x60x40=144000. 140000$ for the cows and I paid fuel out of my pocket. Also I am not counting commision but it was still a pretty good deal. The barns would break them up into 4 & 5 head lots so small farmers could afford them. I may not have paid for all the mamas from them but they paid for most.

C&C,
You must have typed too fast...I still don't understand why a dairy would give away calves worth $40??
I thought the market was very poor in this time period??
Even at 60 calves 5 days a week, thats a dairy of 15,000 cows.
Wouldn't you think someone smart enough to run an opperation like that would be smart enough not to give away $144,000.

I don't want to make you mad.
I'm just kinda slow and would like to be a Big Guy like you someday, but first I need to understand or I'll always be just an "upstart" [18 yrs.]

By the way "small farmers" can "afford" more than 4 or 5 calves... if they are worth anything.

Hillbilly

Hey Hillbilly --- read a little about Braums at the site below and maybe you'll believe a little more of what the man has to say. Appears to me that Braums is/was not a small operation by any means. As to why they seemingly left so much on the table with respect to the newborn bull calves, who knows -- I'd guess they believedthat they had a lot more profitable use for their time.

http://www.braums.com/OurHistory.asp

I've heard tell of dairies giving away bull calves for about $10. That was back in the day. Oh, and I just realized, by reading this thread, that I have a "joke hobby farm with one milk cow". Of course I have other cattle, but I do have one Holstein/Hereford I milk...and some Dairy goats I milk everyday. So I found out my ranch is a joke...LOL....my heath isn't though.

to clarify to everyone about holsteins in feedlots, just take a trip out west to arizona and you'll find feedlots here that are just a sea of black and whites, or better known as steins. almost 90% of the feedlots capacity is steins. So I help that clears up everyones questions.

Yep,

I remember when Braum's gave away the calves, we're not but 100 miles from their dairy over by Higgins / Tuttle. Now they have a contract calf feeder in their picking up most of the calves, sending rest into New Mexico I think. not sure anymore, I've found steins much closer to home to raise. Oh...by the way, I run a stocker operation and thats all we run is steins, so move over BP, your little beefies ain't the only beef in the country. Oh...and BP....theirs also a fairly large sheep dairy in your state, right on the edge of the sandhills near anselmo....guess you'll be knocking them next....adios

aston654":1krn565v said:
This conversation is going no where. It's lacking the place of a
good leader to head the things to come out on conclusion.

PLR book
Could be because this thread is 6 years old.

hillbilly":2fp1mg5x said:
C&C,
You must have typed too fast...I still don't understand why a dairy would give away calves worth $40??
I thought the market was very poor in this time period??
Even at 60 calves 5 days a week, thats a dairy of 15,000 cows.
Wouldn't you think someone smart enough to run an opperation like that would be smart enough not to give away $144,000.

I don't want to make you mad.
I'm just kinda slow and would like to be a Big Guy like you someday, but first I need to understand or I'll always be just an "upstart" [18 yrs.]

By the way "small farmers" can "afford" more than 4 or 5 calves... if they are worth anything.

Hillbilly
i can believe that braums did give calves away but i guess he was the only one smart enough to go get them and resale them.

Latest posts