holsteins

Help Support CattleToday:

I know that my dad has done this before, only not with dairy calves he would buy some old canner cows that were breed, calve them out and then sell the day old or so calves to local farmers that needed a replacer baby for a good cow that had lost her's. And then we would ship the cow out to the auction barn after she had put some wieght on. You would be suprised at how far people would travel to get a calf and the price that they would be willing to pay...I know that some of the nice bull calves we could get somewhere between $350-500 depending on who was looking for them and what we had to offer, and heifer calves would always go for a little less. They only problem that we really didn't know what the cows were like that we were getting involved in...we could get some nice looking, young'ish cows only to realize that after they had chased us up the fence a couple times after they had calved that there is always a reason that bred cows are going through the ring!! ;-)

I know a guy that started out in the dairy business that way. He bought cheap cows, fed them cheap. He didn't get much milk production but kept his cost way down. Even now with his heifers milking a lot better he still buys those cheap cows at the sale. Buys cows for little over kill price, gets the calf out of them, and milks the top off them for 3 or 4 months and sends them back to kill. It at least appears that he is making money.
Dave

auctionboy":37nkjjvz said:
Has anyone considered switching to Holsteins, and raising them to get calves only, and not milking them. If you sold all of the calves at birth and dried of the cows it seems like imput would be very low. You would also get a lot of beef when culling these cows. Has anyone tried this.

I'd say you would have a whole lot of trouble trying to dry off a bunch of fresh calved holsteins, not only that, you would have a sorry lot of calves out of them. It would cost less to keep a moderatly sized beef cow dry for a year than a big old holstein.
Complete non starter mate.

auctionboy":3hvbq4nj said:
I wouldn't nurse the calves at all. I would sell the calves at the sales barn at birth. A dry cow on good pasture seems like it would get fat. This also gives auction guys like my self a good chance to make some money on some three teaters. There is opportunty to nurse the calves on just a few cows and add some value. I'm just thinking out loud, so all comments are appreciated.

auctionboy

Think you may be on to something here. In the business world they call it adding value. Having a cheap home-ie, grass, water, mineral will be the key here. Probably a seasonal deal with no purchased feed, maybe a little hay. Buy cows that will calve during peak grass growth season.The key will be how to market for best value. The best marketing options will probably change from time to time. Don't get in a rut. Do your homework, start small, stay flexible & learn from your mistakes. Start with an all cash operation until you have developed a successful prototype. If you eventually incurr debt for expansion, keep a high % equity.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

auctionboy":w5jw7b0c said:
there isn't that much money up front on auction cattle, and finding them the next day with four hooves in the air isn't that shocking. That's why you get to the auction early talk to the people and it doesn't hurt to know the truckers bringing in these cattle, they usually have the scoop.

Sounds like you have already made up your mind about what you want to do. Can't figure why you asked this question originally if you have debate for all the replies folks are offering. Perhaps you should give it a try and see what happens. Maybe you'll make some extra nickels. It could work for you but it would be a lot of effort and a big risk. If you are willing to risk it, go for it. I simply feel there are better ways that are proven, not much risk, and it works for a lot of people.

I hope it works for you. I did hear the other day dairy herds of 100 head were making $341 per AU and those with 1000 head were only making $34 per AU. Maybe your in on the upswing in small dairy expansion. Good Luck.
I think Paul Harvey said that. I want to know where he got his stats.

On topic, why would you freshen the cow then dry it up. firstly you could let her raise the calf 500# holsteins bring over 2 bucks a pound around here. Or you could sell her as a fresh cow or milk the dang thing. Drying her up seems like a huge wasted opportunity. If capitalizing on opportunities is what your trying to do, do it right.

I am looking into a similar idea right now myself, but using the animals as recips.

You do have a lot of options when doing this, but the best thing to do is not have a plan set in stone. I would sell the calf at birth if I got the right price just to eliminate the risk, but other people might raise it. it depends what kind of farmer you are and your resoursces. There is never one best way for everyone. I would probably buy 3-4 calves at the auction and put them on that holstein, but that's me. If a dairy offered me a good price I would sell them the fresh cow. There are 20 ways to go with this. I wrote the post to see what people had one. thanks for all of the replys.

Yes there are a number of ways to go about it. Just make sure the plan you use is a plan that will work and there is a market for the animals your raising.

I have not seen anybody giving away holstein heifers, or anything that can be butcherd in this market. The auction always gets great prices here.

Auctionboy,
I had the same idea as you, but never followed up on it! The calf prices in Pa are about the same as what you say. If you can find a good source of cows I think it will work. Holstein cows can get expensive. When we had a beef cow/calf operation we got less for a couple month old beef calf than we would have for a day old Holstein heifer. The trick is getting the Heifers...

Auctionboy, you have a plan that works very well at certain times. I have done a version of that. Buying 3 teated cows, cows with 1 or 2 mastitas quarters, off colored hosteins bred to a holstein bull, horned holsteins, that type of cow that sells down close to slaughter price. I have made great money doing it and your numbers are correct. The difference was that if the calf was a bull, I raised it on the cow until 500 lbs and then sold it and slaughtered the cow. The problem is that in my part of the country, several other people started doing it also and now, those cows cost way too much money to be profitable. The cows that used to cost 500, now cost 900-1100 because people are hoping for a heifer calf. The plan is good, it all depends on the timing and the price of the cow.

$1000? not for all of those cows. No way. I am sure of my market, and auction prices. Maybe down there but here these are the prices. I am Auctionboy I know the prices at the auction. they have been steady here for 7 years and increasing. I don't know your market, don't tell me mine.

Of the subject do you guys have any amish at your auction?

Auctionboy, I wasnt trying to tell you your market. I was simply telling you that your plan is a good one and I used a version of the same plan until other people saw me doing it and began to bid those cows up. The cows I was making 400 on, they started bidding up so the margin was less than 100 and that wasnt enough margin for the risks of dairy cattle for me because I can do far better than that buying beef. I have no idea what your market is and that was not the purpose of my response.

auctionboy":3h67twpt said:
$1000? not for all of those cows. No way. I am sure of my market, and auction prices. Maybe down there but here these are the prices. I am Auctionboy I know the prices at the auction. they have been steady here for 7 years and increasing. I don't know your market, don't tell me mine.

I think dairy cattle anywhere at the moment are bringing decent prices -- which is what I understood stocky to be saying -- not undermining your auction talent.

More and more are getting the idea you have. I live in Wisconsin, there are many farmers that do just what you are suggesting, although what they do is AI, calf is born, and the calf might be left on a cow for a couple of weeks and then sold at market. Calf at that point gets the colostrum, and is gaining well ... they bring better prices. However some problems come from the dairy cow with that much milk supply trying to dry up that quickly. They aren't meant for that purpose.

Why not consider dairy embryos w/ beef recipients? OR buy dairy crossbreds from the local auction and AI with dairy bulls? My simmi/holstein when bred with dairy bull always threw spotted calves, and made decent resale -- why I never kept up with that amazes me still today...just think of all the money I could have made! :shock:

I am not offended by your posts, I find them interesting. The milk production would be the biggest problem. I wouldn't use embryo's, I would stay very low overhead like texas papaw typed above. I might go that way If I was going to sell independently.

The big question is are you going to buy bred cows or slaughter animals that might be bred. If they are bred how far along are they? Will they live that long? The good news about it is that holstein heifer prices just took a big hit this week (nationwide) milk is falling and heifers will surely follow. Bull calves are tied to a different system.

If i might offer a little advice. Make sure that you better your product. Then try to sell it. Speculation and get it easy type plans rarely succeed.

Whatever looks good that day at the auction is what I will buy. Price is usually my biggest factor. Not a lack of money, but I'm looking for a big profit margin to offset death risk. Plus I have a good market for ground beef at $2.25 per pound, but that is a different story.

Latest posts