Holsteins or Jerseys? Pros and Cons?

Help Support CattleToday:

I missed it if you said you were putting these on nurse cows or bottle feeding yourself. Milk replacer was expensive last year and I'm sure its gone up this year. I got the MFA 22-20 (22% protein, 20% fat) and I more or less threw my pencil away. I wanted them to have a good start so I'd go through about 3 bags of milk replacer (per calf) then I'd buy the Nutrena Milk Plus pellets (and I can tell you that this year its $38.00 hundred). So, if you're looking at it from a total profit perspective I think you'll be disappointed because I believe if you're going to try and grow that calf out like he would ahve on momma cow its expensive............. can you do it cheaper than that?? Yes, absolutely, but the calf won't weigh out as much so if you short the calf you've shorted their growth/weight as well if you plan on selling them at 6/7 months of age. I am not trying to disourage you, but this has been my experience.

The hubby has 2 holstein nurse cows so that works out much, much better and to me its the only way to go....... however, I am a sucker for babies and won't turn one down in lieu of not having a momma for them.

Latest posts