HolsteinFriesian calf six months old

Help Support CattleToday:

regolith

Reaction score
22_head_on.jpg

22_side_on.jpg

22_three_quarter_view.jpg

14/16s Friesian 2/16 Jersey.
Out of one of my top producers. Tear her to pieces, I want to know what's wrong with her.
She's holding her head about as high as she can & has difficulty walking, tends to run with fore legs together and hind legs together, just as fast as the rest of the mob. Vet couldn't tell me anything, but expressed the hope she might grow out of it (she was born like this).

Did she suffer any oxygen deprivation at birth Rego? Sounds like a neurological problem to me.

3waycross":1y18qpvo said:
Did she suffer any oxygen deprivation at birth Rego? Sounds like a neurological problem to me.

I didn't witness the birth, no reason why there should have been - her mum is huge and has had plenty of big calves before. The only thing I noticed at birth was that her head was an odd shape like a premie (she was full term) but within a week or so I noticed the locomotion problems.

I was going to guess maybe lead poisoning because calves are curious critters that will give crankcase oil a taste, or chew on lead plumbing, batteries or high lead paint just for the heck of it. Lead poisoning deprives the nerves and brain of oxygen. In acute cases they usually start staggering with muscle tremors and die.
BUT since you said it was born like that to a healthy cow, oxygen deprivation at birth sounds much more probable.

An injection of vitamin B1 is a low cost treatment that sometimes helps with central nervous system disorders.
It's just a suggestion, I doubt that it will help, but a shot of vitamin B couldn't hurt and would at least make you feel like you tried.

At this time of year, if my calves started staggering around, having muscle tremors and falling over I'd just think it was the time of year :cry: they haven't yet, hopefully won't (ryegrass staggers).

Neurological does sound quite plausible, when observing her with that in consideration. I thought it was structural.

Latest posts